My favourite picture is one that hasn't been posted in it's current format on photoblog. It originally appeared as a part of this set
, but a lot closer cropped [edit - and of course I use it as my avatar].
I then entered it in a photo competition but went for the wider crop to show Ben's face as I wanted to ensure that there was no dispute as to whose picture it was. Afterwards I decided that I preferred this version anyway.
Reasons I like this shot:
1. It was so much fun to do.
2. We see something unusual.
3. There is a beauty in the way that the water appears to split in two with the balloon.
4. I like the contrasts between the size and power of the hammer and chisel, the fragility of the balloon and skinniness of our kid's little arms.
5. Taking the shot stretched the technical ability of both me an my camera. If there's a camera that's freely available that will take shots faster than 1/8000th of a second then I'm sure I can't afford it.
6. The balloon didn't give up as easy as it might; the chisel alone wasn't sharp enough to split it. After several attempts we found a solution though; we heated the chisel tip over the gas stove first.
For all this, I'd still like to improve on this shot but it will have to wait until summer:
1. More light on the subject allowing for greater contrast.
2. Faster shot - freezing the water even more.
3. Getting Ben to hold the chisel a little lower - kicking myself that I didn't notice this at the time.
Please click here to see other peoples' best photos.