pixel
« 
pixel
«  
  »
pixel
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
 »
pixel

Paris Walks I (From St. Roch to Place De Concorde)

2011.04.20
pixel
In 1521, the tradesman Jean Dinocheau had a chapel built on the outskirts of Paris, which he dedicated to Saint Susanna. In 1577, his nephew Etienne Dinocheau had it extended into a larger church. In 1629, it became the parish church and it thereafter underwent further work. The first stone of the Church of Saint Roch (Église Saint-Roch) was laid by Louis XIV in 1653, accompanied by his mother Anne of Austria. Originally designed by Jacques Lemercier, construction was halted in 1660 and was resumed in 1701 under the direction of architect Jacques Hardouin-Mansart, brother of the better-known Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Work was finally completed in 1754.
pixel
The church is also notable due to Marquis de Sade's marriage there on May 17, 1763.
pixel
pixel
Detail from Antoine Jean-Baptiste Thomas's painting from 1822 : Christ Cleansing the Temple.
pixel
pixel
Map of the Jardin de Tuileries, which is an Unecso World Heritage site since 1991.
pixel
Towards east: The Palce of Louvre.
pixel
View of the rue de Rivoli, on the north.
pixel
Thousands of chestnut trees in bloom all over the city...
pixel
pixel
The Tuileries Garden is a public garden located between the Louvre Museum and the Place de la Concorde. Created by Catherine de Medicis as the garden of the Tuileries Palace in 1564, it was first opened to the public in 1667, and became a public park after the French Revolution.
pixel
The obelisk once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. The Ottoman viceroy of Egypt, Mehmet Ali, offered the 3,300-year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1829. It arrived in Paris on 21 December 1833. Three years later, on 25 October 1836, King Louis Philippe had it placed in the center of Place de la Concorde, where a guillotine used to stand during the Revolution.
The obelisk, a red granite column, rises 23 metres (75 ft) high, including the base, and weighs over 250 metric tons (280 short tons). Given the technical limitations of the day, transporting it was no easy feat — on the pedestal are drawn diagrams explaining the machinery that was used for the transportation. The obelisk is flanked on both sides by fountains constructed at the time of its erection on the Place.
pixel
pixel
Elegance- even when one is riding a bike - is paramount in Paris.
pixel
Sightseeing is no excuse for comfy shoes or being frumpy, either!
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
The Place de la Concorde is one of the major public squares in Paris. In fact, in terms of area, its 8.64 hectares (21.35 acres) make it the largest square in the French capital. It is located at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées.
pixel
6 Comments
mallusatish Beautiful and amazing pictures, excellent capture
mallusatish · 2011-04-20: 11:14
davidcardona Magnificient!
davidcardona · 2011-04-20: 11:15
borogovoi ...fantastic set Agnes...!!!
borogovoi · 2011-04-20: 11:52
kekok egyáltalán nem unom, de mindenképpen több divatos cipÅ‘re és kerékpárosra is számítottam ...
kekok · 2011-04-20: 12:02
noptek Great catch in 17
noptek · 2011-04-21: 10:25
Unchained All fantastic... and you were very lucky with the weather!
Unchained · 2011-04-21: 13:19
You must be logged in to comment!
Views: 322
Category: Travel
pixel
« 
pixel
 »
pixel