pixel
fishbrain
I'm having a go at photography with good ol' 35mm film.

This is completely new to me. One day I will have a go at developing.

So, why is b&w film so much more expensive than color film?

If I take color shots, scan them into digital format, and make them black and white, am I "missing out" on anything that purely b&w film provides?
pixel
Henning
I guess it's more expensive because it's even less used than colour film.

The only thing you're missing is being aware of shooting a b&w roll while doing it. If you know that your shots will turn out b&w no matter what, you might shoot very differently, focusing closer on form than on colour.
pixel
fishbrain
thanks for your comments,

cheers,
pixel
GGijs
i love the way light draws your photograph in the black. i think b&w represent the philosofy of good photograph. at least in my world it is like that. the fact some information is some how missing in blackandwhite and as someone said we (tent) to work a lot with forms, makes it very iconic for me. thats how i see a good photograph. its a clear vision of a situation, which will be accomplished by using the right proportions and spaces between the components in the picture. by the way of making this you will give these object or whatever a greater importance then they have in reality. you create your own vision of this moment and thats when you can call it art. then you can start thinking about your abstraction of your photographs and subjects, and explore how thin, and in some point of view very useless, these thoughts of you are. everybody how seriously wants to get in photography should start with shooting b&w. the use of color and b&w are indeed very different, but i think working with b&w has helped making a nice composition now i seeing all these beautyful colors in the summer
pixel
Beejay
I still shoot B&W film. I like the feel it gives an image and the challenge of thinking in B&W. The grain of Tri-X gives it an atmospheric effect especially on overcast of foggy days. It's like an old friend and just converting it in post-processing (although I do it regularly) is not the same as loading up a roll of B&W and going out to see what you can get without color as an option. BJ
pixel
fairuzaid
colours is more expression, but B&W is beautifull, elegant

gtablet review | galaxy i9100
pixel
pixel
pixel