pixel
noobwithacam
Hello everyone

I am looking for digital photography courses in the UK/London...
Do you recommend any online course you have carried out?
Anybody a member of the royal photographic society? Is the club exclusive and what are the benefits?

Thanks
pixel
noobwithacam
No replies...hmmm
pixel
girafferacing
I went on a short course at West Dean College in Sussex in 2006 and found it very enjoyable and educational. The tutor was Howards Coles but there are other photograhy tutors working there too. I'm going on another course there at the end of August with Richard Cannon, a photographer from the Times. I know three other people who have been on this particular course and they all said it was excellent. If you want more info I suggest you look at their website: www.westdean.org.uk. I've not done any longer courses but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there.

The current issue of Practical Photography magazine comes with a booklet all about photography courses so that might be worth buying for more ideas.
pixel
revenant
It's perhaps a little over-ambitious to expect a while-u-wait reply from a global community about courses in London!

However, apart from the City & Guilds qualifications taught in colleges and night schools, I'd point you towards the courses offered in the back pages of photo mags with the following caveats: student/teacher ratio, clearly defined course structure, streaming (there shouldn't be participants of all levels in the same class), etc. Many professional photographers give classes to round out their income; not all of them know how to impart their knowledge effectively. The RPS courses are open to everyone and seem competitively priced, at least compared to the courses I can tell you about in Greece and in the South of France. On-line classes are very convenient, but I would suggest joining a club or going to night classes. I think we learn more effectively when we share, which is why we're here, after all.

Online, Kelbytraining.com is the training arm of Photoshopusertv.com and NAPP. Scott Kelby has written some good how-to books and I imagine the courses and on-line workshops he and his associates provide are good. I have recommended Kelby's Digital Photography (now in three volumes) to several people as a very elementary, but very rewarding start for beginners (if you don't mind his bible-bashing and self-proclaimed "humour").

I know that Canon and Nikon have electronic learning centres (very basic, but try the US outlets) and that my friend above listens to podcasts on her iPhone. If you go the Canon way, the digital-picture.com is a very good site, although the main man has sold his soul to Canon (very hard for him to say something bad about the brand, but the technical articles are good). For a more objective view and extremely good reviews of bodies and lenses, dpreview.com is for my money the best. It also features one or two rather cursory articles on technical matters, along with some virulent forums.

And finally, there are a few of us right here in PB who post things in the forum, as I'm sure you've already discovered.

As for the RPS, a quick look at their site answers your questions.
pixel
noobwithacam
These replies are gold! Thank you very much. I will do a little research into the suggested links etc and will feed back what I find for others looking to improve their photographic skills like me. Mabye I will be able to change my name to cluedupwithacam soon : )
pixel
noobwithacam
Forgive me for my impatience too : )
pixel
yellodog
I understand it's "proper" courses you are after but if you are prepared to hunt around I'm sure there are enough tutorials for free on the net to last you a lifetime or at the very least prepare you for "real life" tuition. One site with excellent tutorials is http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/
pixel
revenant
I just went to the mirror to check whether this word is printed on my forehead:

egloog

Nope. Strange, really, but I have a radical solution to the same old plaintive request for attention. Here goes:

1. Google "photoshop tutorial"
2. Click on one of the search results.
3. Read the tutorial
4. Try it by following the steps until it finally sinks in
5. Repeat step 1 with... another link!

It's amazing what happens when you do that.
pixel
yellodog
@firehorsecri
Most of the tutorials are free but they have 4 or 5 more complete courses on video that cost some. I haven't tried any others, being a technocrat my motto is "If all else fails read the manual." If you go into Lightrooms help menu there is a link to: http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-3/ with some introduction stuff.
pixel
MeusCorpus
@ firehorse

www.chromasia.com has a wealth of information in tutorials, they are not free but excellent. to get you started though they have some which are free, which i would recomend to anyone.
pixel
pixel
pixel