pixel
karmankwarner
I have studied and thought about this for many days. I have seen the debate over the "Generic" comments such as nice set, wonderful, great, etc. and JUST FOR THE RECORD I like these comments and appreciate all who take the time to stop by my blog.
There have been times when I have went to one of my blogs that I thought was a really good job and there have been few visits and no comments and that really makes me question my abilities.
OKay~I accept that I NEED/DESIRE/REQUIRE positive feedback; however apparently generic it may be so that I feel good about my photography.
SO PLEASE leave me all the NICE JOB / BEAUTIFUL SET / WONDERFUL POST comments that you want....I APPRECIATE THEM IMMENSELY!!!
pixel
ArtBee
I like all comments made on my blog. It shows me someone is not only taking the time to look, but also letting me know they like what they see. There could be several visiting but very few commenting. When someone does comment, I appreciate it!
pixel
angil
Of course we all like to be appreciated. And why should this be a bad thing? But we also should encourage others, sometimes with a small hint here and there. The society is already a very harsh place to navigate in and we need these small compliments to smile every day.
pixel
SewerRanger
I agree a friendly comment on a post is nice. I've got a couple of post with 200+ views and maybe one or two comments (I've got one thats well on it's way to 2000 views with only 1 comment). It kind of makes you wonder if people aren't just accidentally clicking on your photos.

I actually had this discussion with a friend of mine who has a local bog (not on this site) and she has the same issue. She gets a bunch of views on a daily basis and yet no comments. Its one of them mysteries of the web.
pixel
marilynx
Dom ... if I view and DON'T comment...it means the photo (s) have left me without anything special to say.
People don't like being criticised ... I ran a thread on this topic.
I decided to shut up unless I feel comfortable with a friend where they know me well enough to realise the comment, though critical, was well intentioned.
pixel
breizh
All comments are welcome ! Common ones ... Deep ones ...
For everybody here I say also it's not easy for me to comment in english language ... And I'm very glad when I can read one or two words in french language ! Very happy also when an english speaker explain what I write ... Thanks ArtBee for "madeleine de Proust"... )
pixel
NellyBly
Yes, we all need appreciation and encouragement..Makes my day! Some people really hate "great set" but consider the fact that they may not speak or read English very well and that's all they can say..sometimes we need a little nudge in the right direction to make our photos better..that's welcome too! Any comment represents that the person made the effort to let you know they viewed and communicating with you
pixel
EvaLizette
Of course we all like comments I like wonderful,amazing,beautiful and all positive words about my pictures and I always returns them and thank for them. Sometimes of course there are pictures that dont say much to me but I try find something that catches me.
But I must say it makes me a little hmphf when people cant say thank you. I dont mean people have to comment back but a thanks back shows you have manners.

I Love to share and I love watch others pictures and learn from others and please keep those wonderful ,great set,and beautiful coming
Everyone are deeply appreciated ))

pixel
InaLina
I am one of those who use coments like great , nice pic and so on and those i coment on i like!! and aprisciate but sometime i cant find words and put it in sentense how i feel when i see it,, sure i can say stuff like nice composition but what do i know ,, i am an amateur with a simple digital camera snapping away happily..
And remeber Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,, what i like you might not like!! I love all coments!!!!!
pixel
danrav
The other day I used the term "generic comment" in my comments to other's posts. I used that term apologetically to let people know that for the most part, I was just acknowledging to them that I had viewed their post and it was all i had time to do because of the business of my day.

I should have used the term "copy and paste comment" because that is what I did. I pasted the comment, "Nice post. - Sorry for the copy and paste comment today. It's all the time I have today."

The nice post, great post, awesome photo comments are all OK for me to receive. I give those types of comments also. In my case the otherday, I just wanted to be up front with people that I was indeed copying and pasting in case they noticed it themselves as they viewed my comments in other posts.

It's very silly of me - but for me, PB is about people before it is about photos. Maybe it should not be that way - but for me it is.

Regardless of the quality of a person's post - I want them to leave the encounter with my comment with a positive vibe. Or at least a neutral (safe) vibe. Nothing wrong with that. Right????

pixel
EvaLizette
Absolutely right Dan
I agree with you and of course copy and paste is a controversial method to comment but you were honest and said so and because you did people will know you looked and liked them. Some days we just dont have time maybe
pixel
danrav
@ EvaLizette. Oh Eva I have so much trouble responding back to every comment with a thank you. Generally, I receive comments from the same people everyday. Only occasionally does someone new comment on my post.

I have let everyone know that I would rather put more time and effort into making a more full comment on their pictures than spend time thanking them for their comments. I have also let folks know that they should feel free not to thank me for comments that I make on their post, because I know how busy they are also.

When a comment really touches me or someone new comments , I generally respond back.

I love having you as my friend. Please do not feel I am not grateful or lack manners if I don't always respond back. I try very hard to make good comments as a thank you to all my PB friends, etc for the comments they make to me.

I made a funny post on this subject recently. I will return with the exact post!

You are a great friend!
pixel
danrav
Eva - look at my September 18th post. You will laugh when you see it!!!!
pixel
breizh
RIGHT !
Dan, Eva, InaLina, Nelly... everyone ...
If I would be able to write so good english as french ... I would write thousand words for every picture you post ... And a book on this forum ... Be happy my friends ...
pixel
EvaLizette
Ohh I understand that sometimes we just dont have the time
But once in a while we can take the time

Thank you Dan
I try to be and always with a smile )

Hugs and Smiles )
pixel
danrav
Meow!!
pixel
EvaLizette
Meow !! and purrrrrrs
pixel
Marzijapan
Im very grateful for all and any comments I receive, even just will put a smile on my face as I know someone has appreciated my work for just a few seconds .... Im not into the technical side of photography so wouldn't understand the jargon of a professional anyway .... but I still appreciate constructive criticism which is understandable. People like me, look at a photo and know what they want to say but cant express themselves or put their thoughts into words, so we just say something like " great set " or nice photo, its doesn't mean that our words are any less precious than someone who knows all the technical jargon ..... Hell .... I don't even know why Im here prattling on trying to explain myself, most people will agree with me but there's always some pompous old git who wont ...... as if I care
Bye for now everyone and thanks for reading
Marzijapan ..... or Alison
pixel
danrav
Great explanation Alison!!!! I agree with you!!!! )
pixel
Marzijapan
lol .... thanks Dan, I knew you would understand
pixel
revenant
I'm not grateful. In fact, I'm ungrateful. If all you have to say is something phatic, don't bother. I appreciate the thought, but I don't need the gesture. I don't need to know my friends appreciate my work until the day they stop doing so; nor do I need constant reminders. I'd rather receive one sincere, instructive, useful, funny, original comment than a hundred "awesome post" ones. It's time to bring a degree of sincerity to this community. Or at least apply a basic rule of common sense: if you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing. Positive feedback is what pushes lemmings over the cliff: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
pixel
karmankwarner
I would love to understand the technical jargon that I have had in my comments.
Hell, I am still taking photos on "auto" and some of them have been really great~or so I thought....
I started this thread to let those who do comment know that I do appreciate their visits; I try to get back with "Thank You's" but my life as well as my studies have been pushing me to the point of breaking so this was in a way my big Thank You for what ever comment is left.
I appreciate technical jargon comments as well as constructive criticism.
In the time I have been on photoblog I have learned much about my camera and if I ever graduate from college I have every intention of taking a class to learn what all those little settings mean/do/accomplish.
I think I started a debate and that was not my intention; I just mostly wanted to say
Thanks for Noticing me......
pixel
busybee
Hi everyone..........how about being glad that you are alive have eyes to see and are able to enjoy all the fun Photoblog brings us.
pixel
tomie
it is fun to read that some behaviors contradict what they say ... they want to get to the forefront all times and shun the "nices set".
but they may have such high self-esteem or value of their works of art, a simple "nice shot" is unworthy for them.
For my part I appreciate any comments whatever they are!
what to say more, on a beautiful sunset? "How beautiful" is the most beautiful comments, you can tell what you feel but it is still your ego and self talk ... I noticed some comment more to emphasize themselves that for the interest of the picture they comment!

I happened to post photos with comments closed ... nothing more frustrating than no return.
So, yes, I accept the nice, wonderful, great, superb, amazing set! I enjoy that these people took the time to "copy / paste" their simple comment ... there are pictures where there is nothing more to say, or by lack of time ,no matter what! they show you are a member of the family.
also, do not be upset with my "wonderful" comments)
pixel
marilynx
Stéfan ... I actually concur with you....however remember we often begrudge others that which we can't enjoy ourselves.
I take extreme care with my comments because I am of the opinion enjoyment is enriched by imagination...so a little care with comments is always well appreciated by my good self. All my "friends" on photoblog comment with thought.
I appreciate the priority given to this task ... if a task it has become.
It's encouraging, for me, when I am thanked for a comment where I have indeed taken particular care.
pixel
revenant
As we all come here for different reasons and take back different things, there isn't any one way of doing it. My approach works for me; your approach works for you. No doubt Max's grudges and thinly veiled asides work for him.

Assuming we all have an average of 50 friends and that half of them post at least one image a day (a conservative estimate), average time spent on each entry must be under 30 seconds. This doesn't include time spent on the guest book or messages. Again, assuming people don't spend two hours a day glued to this site (not a safe assumption...), more time is spent typing a comment than looking at the images! By my calculation, if everyone posts 20 images a day and looks at everybody else's 20 images a day, we'd all spend on each image about the amount of time it takes to blink... Thank goodness it doesn't take much time to copy and paste "awesome post".

This is a parody. I know in reality we all do the same: spend more time talking to specific friends (or drafting snide little comments for people we dislike) and then share the little time left spreading our benevolence - rather thinly - on our other friends.

However, phatic statements are made for noise, not for content. They're very useful in a real community. They strike me as pointless in a "virtual" one.

I found it interesting that people felt compelled to post forum congratulations for a recent FP image that did not allow comments - almost as if the need to communicate, to share, to congratulate was overpowering. Well, that's what a virtual community is all about: traffic.

And traffic travels on roads, one of which leading to hell is paved with good intentions. They're probably going to replace it with a superhighway to it paved with "Ctrl", "v" and "c" keys.

pixel
tomie
No doubt Max's grudges and thinly veiled asides work for him.

Stéfan stop to say i've grudges for you! which grudges?
and nothing veiled, i just truly think what i wrote above...i don't like your spirit!
pixel
marilynx
"i don't like your spirit"... I love his generosity of mind!
pixel
revenant
Considering I drank quite a lot of the 40º variety last night with friends at a vernissage (which might explain the slightly sour tone adopted above), my spirit will just have to grin and bear it.

Drunk, sober or even hung over, I've always thought pasting "awesome post" (see my "critique" post dating back to 2009) is a lazy way of spending one's time here. If you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing. If you have something you think is useful, say it directly.

Have to go and find an aspirin...
pixel
EvaLizette
A blog lives on comments and of course it can be overwhelming when you get a lot of comments and try to respond. I`m very lucky and have some great fellow bloggers on my friend list and they always encourage me and lift me up with all kinds of comments. And those who likes your work always takes time to send a comment if not right a way ,maybe the week after but the real point here is to SHARE .....thats whats all a blogs about . To tell and show the world your way of seeing things. I will keep comment those pictures I like if I get thanks or not and sometimes the words that hit you are the simple ones because they describe how you feel when you see it
Keep blogging and Keep sharing
pixel
ArtBee
@EvaLizette.....I agree "Photoblog" is about sharing, not just about photography. This subject has been discussed a few times on the Forum and the majority of Photobloggers agree. Comments are appreciated even if they are one word! When we pass strangers on a busy street we are sometimes greeted with "nice day" or "beautiful morning" do we just walk on by without a response? When a stranger asks "how are you today" does that person want to have a conversation or is it a friendly greeting? It is up to you to decide how you will respond. In this day of inpersonal communication, such as it is with today's technical advantages. Polite conversation is lost and spending time to have a conversation is limited. Surely one or two words in response is not too much to give....or is it?
pixel
danrav
I thnk our illustrious President Bill Clinton pondered what the word "is" meant as he was being grilled about his White House escapades.

Maybe this is a quibble over what the word "useful" means.

For some "useful" means - assists in feeling good about oneself or their efforts.

For others "useful" means - assists in getting better at what they are doing.

For others "useful" means - assists with a little of both.

For others "useful" means - assists with whatever....

I thought I would try a utilitarian slant to the discussion. Is utilitarian the right word???? No matter.
pixel
EvaLizette
@Artbee.My boy`s girlfriend she had a blog. She wrote about her daily life and the things she had in mind and she always wrote :
"a blog wont survive with out comments"
And thats very true. I think we should try take us time to share a "wonderful,amazing and a great post". It bring smiles
And when people say to you ..Its a great day or ask how you are it makes you feel good and deserves a response.
I take that time and it makes me a happier person.
But thats me .... ;)
pixel
EvaLizette
@Danrav
"Utilitarian"
I have no idea Dan...I`m swedish hahahaha
pixel
breizh
@marilynx ... Give an aspirin to your dear friend "revenant" ! And tell him in France drink driving is forbidden ! ... )
pixel
breizh
@Eva
@Dan
Utilitarian = equivalent constructive ... (contrary = destroy) I understand like that ...
Still smiling , still gentlemen , still gentle-woman ! )
pixel
danrav
@EvaLizette - I love IKEA!!!! Does that make me Swedish????

Do you know who Gunder Haag is????
pixel
danrav
@Yves - Utilitarian to me = If it works - use it,. If it hurts you when used - don't use it, If it hurts other when used - don't use it.
pixel
EvaLizette
Thanks guys for the english lektion and understand better what you meant and yes I do He was a swedish runner. You know him ???
Ohhh everyone Loves IKEA ! )
pixel
bumpusdogs
I've only been on here a short time, but it seems to me that like so many other things in life, PhotoBlog is what you make it.

People are here for so many different reasons and each one makes their little world what they want it to be. It is somewhat unrealistic for anyone to expect everyone to do things they way they think it should be done and so we wind up falling back on what should be "polite" conventions.

To me any sort of generic comment has what I call "psychic" benefit. It makes you feel good. How can that be bad? And obviously the person took the time to view your post and comment, even if it is a simple "great set". That's pretty nice of them. Again, what's so bad?

Then there are "technical" benefits. These come from people who are looking help you become better. I don't know about anyone else, but I want to get better and know more. The reason I am here is to sharpen my rusty skill set and if I do that in a vacuum it just doesn't work. I need the feedback and in my profile I ask for the feedback, but that's just me in MY little world.

As for replies to the comments, are we really grading their worth on whether someone typed it or cut and pasted it? They took the time to reply, that seems to me to be enough.

As usual, just my two cents...

Eric
pixel
EvaLizette
@ Danrav and of course it does..if you like the swedish meatballs !
pixel
miclaud
Tous les commentaires, courts, longs, chaleureux, froids... me font plaisir.
Je visite les pages de mes « amis » et j’essaie de leur montrer que j’y suis passée en leur laissant un petit mot « générique » en anglais, en français, en espagnol ou en portugais et italien plus rarement.
PB me sert beaucoup dans ma pratique car les langues étrangères m’intéressent. Cependant, j’écris plus de choses en français parce que c’est ma langue usuelle. Je suis plus bavarde avec ceux avec qui je suis plus habituée, plus familière. Mais j’essaie de répondre de mon mieux, et particulièrement lorsque l'on on me pose des questions sur la vie mon île la Martinique, sur mes traditions, mon environnement etc.
Si les gens ne me répondent pas, je me dis qu’ils ont au moins vu que je suis passée chez eux, qu’ils passeront chez moi et donc que j’existe!

All the comments, short, long, warm, cold ... please me.
I visit the pages of my « friends » and I try to show them that I came there by leaving them a small « generic » word in English, in French, in Spanish or in Portuguese and Italian more rarely.
The PB helps me a lot in my practice, because the foreign languages interest me. However, I write more words in French because it is my usual language. I am more talkative with those with whom I am more familiar. But I do my best to answer, and particularly when one asks me questions about my island life, Martinique, on my traditions, my environment etc.
If people do not answer me, I say to myself that they saw at least that I am came and visit them, that they will come to my page and thus that I exist!
pixel
danrav
@ EvaLizette - Oh I love the Swedish meatballs.

Gunder Haag was one of my childhood heros. Imagine a young American child admiring Gunder Haag and Arne Andersen. Now you know why I am a strange old man!

Many wonderful B&W pictures of these great runners!!!
pixel
danrav
PB makes me feel embarresed that I can only speak English. Thank God for translater features.
pixel
EvaLizette
@Danrav Ohh my a danish handball player to. Well its not the ordinary heroes but they were great athletes both of them so not so bad choice
And you are right. I like winter sports a lot and love the b&w on cross country skiers .
Sixten Jarnberg .....Amazing athlete

And for strange ...Well I will say unique and special )
pixel
danrav
@EvaLizette - No, no, no! Not that Arne Andersen. Arne Anderssen (Spelled it wrong before) also an ancient Swedish runner.

pixel
EvaLizette
@Danrav Ok I was a little confused on that one !! Hahahahaah
pixel
jennyLit
i personally enjoy the fact that anyone visits my blog and whatever comment is left i am grateful for even if it is a generic comment because i know people took the time even if a second or so to let me know they are enjoying my posts.

As for the comments i leave i am a little limited in the ability to leave technical critiques due to the fact that i am just getting into photography and don't really know the correct terms to to express what i mean to say. i can only use use words that i know from an art education that may also pertain to photographs i.e textures, light, contrast ect.

I do try to add comments about how the photo makes me feel or add a personal feeling to it either way i leave comments to let people know i see what they are doing and that i enjoy seeing life through their eyes and mind and i enjoy feeling that way when i read all the comments left on my blog as well.

all in all positive reinforcement as well as critiques on how i can better my work is always welcomed with open arms on my blog so keep up the "great sets" and "awesome posts!!"
pixel
danrav
@ JennLit
I only look at your blog to see Bella!!!!
She is awesome!! chuckle, chuckle! - Love ya Jen!!! - Just kidding!!!! About the blog - not about luvin' ya!!!
I work very hard to make you smile!!!!
pixel
liveandletlive
I said it before and I'll say it again. I appreciate all the comments to my blog and I like giving positive feedback to others. I pretty much figure most people are their own worst critics so I don't need to help with that part.

And I want to apologize again that I am so horribly bad about thanking people for their comments. I always mean to find time. Maybe this will help explain:

4:20 AM- work out until 5:30 or 5:40
Shower
go to work for 9 to 10 hours
get home between 4:45 and 5:30 pm
heat up something to eat
wash the dishes
post some photos if I have any

On Saturdays I try to get out and play and on Sunday I spend most of the day cooking all our meals for the coming work week.
I really do mean well. I just can't seem to get around to commenting on others photos AND thanking them for their comments.
Thank you ALL for all of your comments.
pixel
pixel
pixel