pixel
revenant
There is a photoblogger who joined the community two and half years ago. In the 838 days he has been a member of PB he has notched up 2200+ friends and made close on 47,000 comments. This means an average of nearly three friends and 59 comments each and every day.

I'm awestruck. Where does he find the time?

pixel
breizh
... The Lord works in mysterious ways ... )
Chapeau !...

Sans doute un amateur cloué sur un fauteuil roulant et qui a trouvé là un excellent moyen de communication ...

Ou un "moniteur - régulateur" pour le compte d'un groupe d'amateurs n'ayant pas d'accès à l'internet , (ou accès restreint)... Les clubs photo existent dans les hôpitaux et même dans les prisons françaises ...

Peut-être ... "La Cinquième Colonne" ...
pixel
danrav
@Yves -
Your comment is brilliant and at the same time has brought me to tears.

I see rooms full of people everyday who have this type of time. They are "nailed to wheelchairs" and their world is in the computer. Their friends are virtual friends because the real world will not accept them as "real friends"

For many of these people - 2000 friends equal one friend.

I applaud your brilliance and your heart.

pixel
danrav
@ Yves - I will share your commentary with my associates today. Thank you again. Brilliant and sensitive.
pixel
breizh
@Dan ... Thanks !...
You found best words to say my mind !...
pixel
tomie
@ Breizh: bravo!
pixel
breizh
@Tomie ... THANKS ! ... )
pixel
tomie
I really respect disabled, this is why I find it indecent to show them on pictures, and more reason on a website .... as curiosities.
pixel
maudlaurens
Je pense que c'est ce que nous deviendrons aussi plus tard, (le plus tard possible), des gens vieux, qui essaient encore de trouver des amis sur le net, car autour de soi, le vide se fera ! j'ai peur de cela...
pixel
marilynx
I go along with you all.
As one ages mobility can become more difficult.
I spend my time in a foreign language, so I enjoy a couple of sites where I can express myself in my native tongue.
I go along with breizh, this blogger is probably immobile ...
May he continue to enjoy the freedom of mind the internet allows him.
pixel
busybee
It is a super site you can give it as much or as little as you wish, but recently I have appreciated my blog friends as they remain in touch even when you cannot post, it means a lot I can assure you. I like many others have a busy life but still love my time on Photoblog I think a very special place.
pixel
revenant
I suspect that tomie's remark about showing the disabled on websites is aimed at me. Yes, some of the paparazzi and their friends have been posted here and elsewhere, but never as curiosities. I am revolted by the suggestion. You should be ashamed, Max, for even thinking such a thing, much less posting it here.
pixel
marilynx
I hope not, Stéfan ... that never crossed my mind. Disabled folk are people, no different than the rest of us.
Why would a disabled person not want to be photographed? Their smile is as good as yours and mine ... probably better!
You actively make a voluntary contribution to the welfare of the mentally disabled ... I admire you.
pixel
busybee
Having worked with disabled children and adults, I can assure you many of them are lovable, affectionate and have qualities offer the world, they would not think of themselves as curiosities so why should we. Believe you me there are many able bodied people who are curiosities in this world..................
pixel
marilynx
Hey sis ... are you having a go at me?
pixel
tomie
my brother is disabled Stefan, and i know what i mean...are you sure a mentally disabled have the capacity to understand completely the use you do with theirs images? i'm not.
pixel
marilynx
They are people he works with ... why are you giving them a label?
pixel
tomie
pictures and works should have remained in hospital.
pixel
maudlaurens
Lorsque j'allais voir ma mère a la maison de retraite, j'étais effarée, de voir la personne qu'elle était devenue, ce n'était plus elle, je la prenais régulièrement en photo, et au fil des mois, je voyais la dégradation physique se faire.. Jamais je n'oserais poster ces photos, je ne pourrais pas...je garde celles-ci pour moi, c'est intime.

When I went to see my mother at the nursing home, I was startled to see the person she had become, the EC was not her, I took a picture regularly, and over the months, I see physical degradation be .. I would never show these pictures, I could not ne ... I keep These For Me, It's intimate.

pixel
breizh
Je soupçonne que ce blogger inconnu mérite mieux qu'un sujet de forum ... Et si Monsieur revenant se pose la question sur ses capacités , qu'il lui demande , et ne pas en faire un sujet de curiosité sur un forum ...

@marilynx ... Je respecte beaucoup trop les personnes handicapées pour publier des photos de personnes dont l'esprit et le discernement puissent être altérés ... Question de morale dans un pays où on ne publie pas de photos de malfaiteurs entravés ...

I suspect that this unknown blogger deserves better than a forum thread ... And if Mr. revenant has a question about his abilities, he ask in private, and does not make it a subject of curiosity on a forum ...

@marilynx ... I respect people with disabilities too much to publish pictures of people whose minds and judgment may be affected ...
pixel
marilynx
If we didn't see the afflicted on T.V. etc. we would be unaware of their plight. Many kind and generous folk make donations to various charities wich support and help many causes. This is because the world has opened up.
These people are no longer shamefully hIdden away .
There are two sides to every arguement.
I posted the last photo I have of my mother which I took myself ... in a residential home ... I shared it with Lizette and my sister.
Had she been in a poorly condition, not only would I not have posted the photo...I wouldn't have taken it!
We need to be fully aware of what goes on behind closed doors, photography is a means of communication... I not only respect these people, I commend those who help and educate and inform us of what can be done to help. We can all do some small thing... not only pontificate!
pixel
revenant
To be quite clear, I mentioned a member of this community because clicking on his photo today and checking his profile, I calculated the extraordinary statistics of his involvement with the community. I made no reference to any disability because I am not aware of any.

The idea of discussing disability was first brought up by Yves and then Dan. This was followed by a disgusting accusation made by Max (Tomie) that I post images of my friends in the home where I have been volunteering for two years "as curiosities". I can also affirm as one of the few people in this community legally and professionally qualified to do so that the meaning is the same in English as in Tomie's native French.

I am disgusted and revolted by this disgraceful insult to my friends in the home and to me.

Having friends/relations in the same predicament does not excuse such an insult. It makes it worse, because you should know better.

Honte à toi, Tomie. Vraiment : honte à toi. Ton comportement me répugne.
pixel
ArtBee
Oh righteous indignation. Methinks(not proper but I like it) thou dost protest too much!
pixel
revenant
I leave the righteous bit to people who think they have something to be righteous about. Indignant? No. Angry and disgusted? Definitely.
pixel
tomie
@ revenant:
not friend /relation...my brother! and i think what i wrote above.
I know quite your taste for provocation and thy vanity...

honte? Stefan n'utilise pas des mots dont tu ne connais pas le sens...je peux te retourner le compliment.
pixel
yellodog
Tut tut, let no shadow fall on Paolo. He is a scholar and a gentleman and doesn't deserve to be dragged into a squabble like this.
pixel
ArtBee
@yellowdog, I don't think it was the intention of the thread starter to have Paolo as the object of converstion, otherwise the comment would have be made directly to him. And perhaps a congratulations....
pixel
revenant
I made no direct reference by name to the PB member because it's not my place to do so. All I pointed out was the member's commitment and energy to the community. I think it's extraordinary that someone should devote so much of both to PB for such a long time. Let others exploit this thread for their own purposes, as has clearly been done.

Once again, people with their own hidden agenda have decided to misconstrue, distort and insult without having the courage to do so directly to me. Events have proved me right not to name the subject of this thread and I'm sorry he and his "achievement" were mentioned in what Mark rightly calls a "squabble", a squabble which others have twisted into a disgusting slur on mentally handicapped people I do volunteer work with instead of talking directly to me.

What an admirable performance by one member of this site; what a dirty one by another.
pixel
danrav
As in most things, intention usually has little to do with the unintended consequences of comments, actions and even jokes.

There has been plenty of past forum banter and joking or whatever intimating that havinfg lots of friends is a somewhat "shallow" thing to have accomplished on PB. Which I do not agree with at all. # of friends is of no consequence - purely personal. To each his/her own.

With that backdrop, the mere mention of such a high friend count and the stellar stats associated with that number of friends at the start of this thread takes on a negative connotation.

For me, this is a great example of the negative outcomes associated with humor or at times cavalier comments that do not adequately take into consideration the vast diversity of mindsets and personal characteristics of the folks on PB.

And if this discussion is now related to the Paolo that I know and love on PB - I feel sick. I certainly hope it is not. Please don't let it be that!

pixel
danrav
And let me add, I have been the perpetrator of thoughless, careless, doublemeaning types of humor. There have been a couple of brave people who have told me how inconsiderate and thoughtless I was and those people did me the biggest favors.

The biggest favor I did myself was to listen to them and agree with them because they were right.

Then I apologized and begged them for forgiveness. And they forgave me.

Someone here is owed an apology. I will not say who is owed and who is the debtor - that is not my place.
pixel
revenant
BTW, this is a verbatim translation of the first comment after my OP (original post).

"Bravo!

Doubtless an amateur / afficionado [the French word "amateur" is ambiguous] nailed to a wheelchair who finds this an excellent means of communication...

Or a "monitor - moderator" [working] on behalf of a group of amateurs without (or with limited) access to the Internet... Photography clubs can be found in hospitals and even in French prisons...

Maybe [it's]... "the Fifth Column".

I'm not qualified to state the intention behind this contribution. I am, however, extremely well qualified to say this is what it says in French.

I fail to see how talking about a member of good standing in this site can lead to a slur about mentally-handicapped people I do volunteer work with unless there is a malicious and petty intent clearly shown above.

Again, the subject of this thread deserves admiration for his commitment to the site. The people I work with deserve respect. The people insulting them in an attempt to insult me deserve a kick up the arse. I wouldn't have believed anyone could be so petty and mean.
pixel
ArtBee
There is an easy solution. Delete this thread and start a new one. Congratulate your intended and all will be well again in Photoblogland...
pixel
danrav
@ "Again, the subject of this thread deserves admiration for his commitment to the site."

My commentary is about this issue above. The issue of disability is for others to discuss.

Stefan, my point is that you have on several occasions indicated that in your opinion, having many friends on PB as a somewhat shallow aspiration. There is no debating that.

With that, your current proclamation that you admire the "unknown photoblogger" for devoting so much time and effort over such a long time span is rather difficult to follow or believe.

In my opinion, it was a sly way of expressing the same sentiment. And in this case easier to walk away from as being misunderstood by others.

Again. Just my opinion. My only sadness is that it may involve someone I greatly admire - maybe not! But in reality - I am concerned about whoever it may involve.

No hard feelings Stefan. Just voicing my opinion in this now public matter.
pixel
danrav
There are some matters that the smartest thing said involves the need to say that an apology is required. And in this case, one is needed and it should be public as was has sadly occured in this post.

There is a time and a place for humilty and contrition. This is one of those times.

I sometiomes lose patience with peace makers who walk into the battlefield after the war and tell the wounded soldiers what they did wrong and what they should do next.

Not my place to say who owes who - but there is a debt owed.
pixel
bumpusdogs

Can't we all just get a lawn?
pixel
ArtBee
Good one! Bull$%&* does make the grass grow greener though
pixel
revenant
How very sordid this is. Although no one has anything to be proud about in this thread, I see no reason to delete it. Some things should serve as reminders. If the administrators see differently, no doubt they'll deal with it.
pixel
TIM927
God gave us the gift of speaking so that we learn when we must be silent, some people will never learn it seems...shame,,,

Our planet would be a better place if we cared about our own business,,,live and let live,,,
pixel
danrav
I differ with you Stefan. I am proud about what I did in this thread. I don't like what the thread was about, how it started and so on and so forth.

When I read your first entry, I immediately saw it as another statement on the topic of pber's with many friends. You say differently I know, but when vanilla ice cream consistently comes out of the tap day after day and on Sunday, chocolate comes out, you say to yourself - it's vanilla ice cream in disguise.

So I just ignored the same old same old. Then I read Yves comment and it touched me deeply because it was a new slant on the internet and people with disabilities - who I have served for 35 years professionally.

I applauded his comment.

Other participants then became involved and other topics were discussed.

When I saw another PBer's name used, I thought it was the brother of one of the participants who was being discussed in the discussion about disability and pictures.

It then became apparent that the pber whose name was dropped inappropriately, in my opinion, was possibly a dear friend of mine, this thread took on meaning and I offered my views in what I considered to be a respectful and logical manner.

I restated those views and feelings when my opinion was refuted and was attempted to be explained away.

I then restated my opinion and what I saw as a resonable expectation for the situation that had been created.

I am proud of that. And I am proud that I have the backbone to express openly what is probably on many peoples minds, and has been for a very long time.

You may not agree with me, and others may not not agree with me. But it needed to be said, and I said it.

Again no hard feelings Stefan. I understand your sense of humor.
You are entitled to it. I am entitled to my opinion of it on this very public site as long as I do it respectfully.

With that, I bid you closed case for me.

And for those who are tired of seeing this kind of thing occur over and over on the forum and attempt to make it go away by "walk on dismissal tactics", make a decision in your minds about what is right and what is wrong and speak about it - privately or publicly on this forum. Get a backbone either here or in a private message.

Either stand for something - or get out of the way.
pixel
breizh
@ M. revenant ...
You write...
I'm not qualified to state the intention behind this contribution. I am, however, extremely well qualified to say this is what it says in French.
I answer .... Ok !

You write ...
I fail to see how talking about a member of good standing in this site can lead to a slur about mentally-handicapped people I do volunteer work with unless there is a malicious and petty intent clearly shown above.
I answer ... You have not to speak about anyone , how many friends , how many comments he write every day ... I answered "maybe ... a man nailed on a chair ... etc... (respecful for this blogger) ... meaning to say you see your nice belly button ...

You write ...
Again, the subject of this thread deserves admiration for his commitment to the site. The people I work with deserve respect.
I answer ... Nobody respect people you work with than I do ... Remember that !...

You w ...
The people insulting them in an attempt to insult me deserve a kick up the arse.

I answer ... I do not insult anyone ... Nobody kicked up my arse ... you will not be the first ... Remember that also ...
And I do not need a proctolog (as you wrote on a previous forum which you deleted ...)

You w
I wouldn't have believed anyone could be so petty and mean.
I answer ...I wouldn't have believed anyone could be so ... (as you want ... )

You write ... If the administrators see differently, no doubt they'll deal with it.
I answer ... As you want ! ... I know what you can do ! ...

Tchaooo Pantin ...
pixel
liveandletlive
I agree with Eric. Let's all get a lawn. Lol.

I prefer to think the best. If that makes me naive, I don't care. We've already established that I am childish so what difference does it make.

I prefer to think that there was no ill-intent in Stefan's comments and that no one who followed him meant any harm either.

I BELIEVE in the general goodness of people and no one is going to take that away from me.

((((((((((Group Hug)))))))))))
pixel
danrav
I love You Felecia. You can snuggle your crib up to mine anytime.

I appreciate your "view". My eyes like to see what is really there - when that is possible. I have had lots of practice in dark rooms trying to see. Not perfect - but pretty good....

We all see what we see.
pixel
ArtBee
@ Revenant Sarcasm with a silver lining! I'm awestruck with the amount of time it took you to calculate the statistics on this person's profile. How much time was spent congratulating him and how many comments have you given on this person's blog?
It is from your past pokes at friend counts and profile statistics and your dislike for the word awesome that raises the question as to your sincerity. You cleverly disguise your sarcasm on the forum with your own brand of humour. It sometimes takes a bit of disciphering to figure out if you are joking or insulting. What followed your opening comment on this particular thread has been no different that any other threads that have taken a turn in a new direction. The following comments were not made with any agenda attached to them, but you have somehow misunderstood them.
All of a sudden you are appalled by the discussion that followed and it was you Stefan that put a negative connotation on those comments. It is because of your past sarcasms on the forum that you have not been taken seriously. If indeed it was your genuine intention to praise this blogger for his contribution to Photoblog it is unfortunate that it turned in a negative direction.
You are responsible for the turn, no one else.
pixel
EvaLizette
I just want to say that we dont always chose how much time we can sit on our arse.
I dont
I got so much time so when people talk about they never have enough I have no idea what they talk about.
But I want to use that time to bring smiles to people and try spread some good words around so I comment every person on my friend list and even on bad days I try get around them all
And if I can make others feel good when they read one of my comments its good use of my time

And to people in wheel chairs..Well I thought those were like the rest of us..just with wheels instead of legs
pixel
breizh
((((((((((Hugs))))))))))) ...) ...
Except "the pretentious -presumptuous- arse kicker"
Of course ...
pixel
Riyaz
I wish I were , what I was, when I wanted to be what I am now!
pixel
va000119
Each to his own, I have a mum who is relatively immobile, spending time on her computer takes her mind of other things, stops her brooding. I am glad that at 81yrs of age something entertains and engages her interest so much. Even if I`m pretty bad at keeping up she isn`t and having a sense of humour I `m sure she would laugh at a lot of this thread.
pixel
danrav
@ malabar Why don't you start a thread giving a brief overview of the conflict so that those who are interested can do so. It would help those who need some history. I will wait for the thread to be started by you, with your introduction.

This is not a jab, it is a serious suggestion. I like your suggestion.
pixel
ArtBee
@ Malabar....That is a very good suggestion.
pixel
breizh
@malabar ... ...Why the word "lucrative" ?
Agree with you ... "drooling" is a perfect word for the opening comment !
I would suggest you propose this topic to Mister revenant ... or open it yourself ... Good (maybe kind) idea !
pixel
pixel
pixel