pixel
pdsdville
Several years ago when I joined Photoblog, it was just that, a photoblog. Now it seems that there are just as many ads for merchandise and dating/sex as there are photo entrys. I hate to complain but why pay for a subscription when you have to wade through all the garbage? Anyone have any suggestions for the blog host to clear up the problem or is is just me that it bothers?
pixel
thekeyislooking
There should be a horde of admins cleaning the place of unwanted visitors that violate the terms..........
pixel
revenant
PB is a one-man outfit with hosting services provided by Amazon cloud computing. It is not the administrator's primary concern (I think Michael Zhang's primary interest is called PetaPixel or something similar.) Other sites have whole teams working on anti-spam / SQL injection measures. I don't think PB gets the same treatment.

I do admire members here who take the time to bump spam from the FP, but I think it ultimately does the site a disservice. Firstly, it doesn't actually do anything. Secondly, "reporting the spam account to the administrator" is rather like telling the captain of the Titanic that he's hit an iceberg.

The reason why people are so keen to share their links of London, cheap shoe/bag offers and whatnot is to get at PB's database which includes all our personal details, including our credit card / paypal info if we subscribed to a pro account. As some of us have already received bogus e-mail from other PB members, it's safe to assume the PB database has already been compromised.
pixel
michaelczhang
@revenant:

Thanks for your feedback. However, people spam here purely for the clicks (and perhaps for search engine reasons). There's nothing in our database that could compromise our members financially. Our pro upgrades are done through PayPal, and therefore all your credit card information and/or bank information is on PayPal's servers, not ours.

I think the main thing we need to figure out is why our CAPTCHA system is failing. It's very difficult to prevent human spammers on any website, but our CAPTCHA system SHOULD be stopping automated spam... We're not sure why that isn't happening (unless all the spam is actually left by humans...)

--Mike
pixel
michaelczhang
@thekeyislooking:

There isn't a hoard, but we do manually deal with spam on a daily basis... It's the ones that get through our periodic checks that you see.
pixel
girafferacing
Michael: Is the failure of the captcha system the reason my non-PB friends can't leave comments on my blog at the moment?
pixel
MamieMeade
It's the decline of the computer era. There was never any security online. The PO talked about doing it, but they ended up being part of the problem. The pests have government security codes that enable them to disable any site they want to. As for the captcha problem. That has been disabled probably, and/or they want you to have to join Photoblog to leave a comment, so that you can be monitored. Live with it. MM
pixel
TheDashd
Now a days am getting so many ads for various products being posted in my blog. Quite weird to see them in PB !!
pixel
HoosierAtHeART
Go away!
pixel
HoosierAtHeART
Go away! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
pixel
pixel
pixel