pixel
japarker
I got a new 55-200 lens for my D40 and it squeaks when focusing automatically. I expect a little noise when focusing but this is a higher pitch squeak (my 18-55 doens't seem to make this noise). I took it to my local photography store but they said that some lenses are just noisier than others. Is this normal?
pixel
jenniferp
Haven't come across anything like that myself, but maybe you could go into a (different) camera store and ask to test one of their lenses out. See if it's something peculiar to that lens.
Is it more a question of the noise, or does it sound like it might affect the function?
pixel
tcalbaz
Is it still possible to take the lens back under warranty and maybe exchange it? None of my lenses have ever squeaked.

regards,

Ted
pixel
BswPhoto
the swm nikon motors have a faint squeek ..... i have 4 of them and they all do it......i think its normal for the swm's . but it shouldnt be loud enough to trip over.
pixel
thegoosepics
This is so wierd. I was shooting with the same lens today and about half way through it started making that squeaking noise, thats how I found this blog. Ive been shooting with this lense since May of 2008 and never has it made a noise that loud...

Did you ever find any information about whats happening??? Im curious becuase theres no way I can shoot with a lense that makes that much noise.

Thanks
-Matt
pixel
pixel
pixel