After the flames
When Kevin and I walked back through Chichester after a meal out with a friend last night we found a hive of activity, with teams of firemen fighting a fire in the upper floors of the city’s Fat Face store. It looked pretty serious, with billowing smoke and sparks flying from the roof so we feared the worst. When I returned after work this afternoon the fire was finally out but there were still several firemen on site (presumably in case of flare ups) and workmen were shoring up the front of the building with scaffolding. Most of the tiles from the roof were lying on the pavement and the windows on the top two floors were very badly damaged. From press reports it appears an electrical fault in the top floor flat which caused the fire. It’s so sad to see one of Chichester’s many Georgian buildings in such a sorry state but at least the fire didn’t spread and thankfully no one was injured in the inferno.