Still on the nostalgia trail, going back through some scanned slides from 1960. I have many pics, since my father has been busy with his scanner.
This one is a good pic of our dog William (usually called Bill) lying as close as he could to our "Fyreside" kerosene heater. Bill was a cross Fox Terrier, we don't know who he had been crossed with, but he was too big for a normal sized Foxxy.
He would lie on the linoleum floor, very close to the heater,,,,,,and often we would smell something burning,,,,,,most unpleasant smell,,,,,,,burning dog,,,,,,and we would have to wake him up, so he would shift.
As he was a white haired dog, he often would have a brown tinge to one side or the other.
Fortunately, he never got burnt, just his hair/fur, but it must have been most uncomfortable and sore.
Bill was definitely an inside dog and did everything with us, holidays included.