The University of Oregon’s historic track & field venue was named after the University’s first head track coach, Bill Hayward. Hayward directed the Ducks’ track & field program from 1904 to 1947. Hayward Field has hosted three Olympic Trials, and a variety of National, NCAA, and Masters championships.
Hayward Field was first built as a football stadium in 1919. In 1921 a six-lane cinder track was added. The track was widened to eight lanes in 1970 and its first all-weather surface was applied. In 1983, the infield was leveled to remove a crown and improvements were made in the shot put area, the javelin runway and the high jump apron. Also added was an all-weather inner lane for jogging.
The most dramatic renovation took place in 1988. A $1.9 million dollar remodel reconfigured the track from 440 yards to a 400-meter oval. This decreased the sharp angle of the turns, a major drawback to the old 440-yard configuration. Additional projects included a 200-meter warmup track, a new hammer throw area, a weight room facility and a storage area near the southeast end of the field.
A new $200,000 scoreboard was added to the south end of the field in 1991. The computerized scoreboard shows unofficial times for the first eight finishers as they cross the finish line.
The last major addition to Hayward Field was completed in 1992. The Bowerman Building, which is located at the northwest end of the field, was made possible by a generous donation from Bill Bowerman, head track coach at the University of Oregon from 1948 until 1973. This impressive 15,000 square foot building houses locker rooms, U of O track memorabilia and the university's International Institute for Sport and Human Performance.
Very interesting reportage, Tom. It's great to have such wonderful facilities in an educational establishment –– work the mind and work the body –– they both go together. Your community must be so proud of this. Best regards.