Arabian conquest of the 18th century was entailed with settlement of the Muslim population. According to Platon Ioseliani, the first mosque in Tbilisi was constructed in the 16th century. It was a Shiite mosque constructed on the place of a devastated Christian church according to the wish of the shah Suleiman in 1522. This mosque was removed during the Metekhi bridge construction in 1950. In addition to this one, other Muslim worship places were built in Tbilisi, such as: the Sunnite mosque at the end of the botanical garden, constructed in 1723-1735 during the Osman reign , which was destroyed in the middle of the 17th century. In 1846-1851 the mosque was renovated according to the project of the architect Jovanni Scoudier , but this latter one was also destroyed at the end of the 19th century and the present mosque was constructed on its place.
The eight angled Minaret of the brick mosque draws the attention even from the far distance and is perceived in a different ways from the various sides. The mosque, located at the end of the Botanical garden is the only functioning one at present, and it serves both the Shia and the Sunni Muslims.