When the inhabitants in Saksun wanted to attend church, they had to walk all the way to Tjørnuvík, which was a long walk over the high mountains to the north. In year 1858 the church in Tjørnuvík was disassembled and carried over the mountains and reassembled in Saksun. The church got the new name Saksunar Kirkja (Church of Saksun) and was inaugurated on June 20, year 1858. The church was not a replica of the old church. The external walls were instead of wood, build with stones, but the rest of the building is reminiscent of the church in Tjørnuvík.