Lovamahapaya in Sri Lanka, also known as the Brazen Palace or Lohaprasada, is a set of ruins with hundreds and hundreds of stone pillars that lie between the stupa Ruvanvelisaya and the Great Bodhi Tree of Anuradhapura. This is the location of a once mighty nine storied monastic structure built by the King Dutugemmunu in the 2nd century BC.
The building is supposed to have included a refectory, assembly hall and chapter house, and the roof was covered in bronze tiles. Lovamahapaya was a massive nine storied building with a height of 150 ft (47 meters) and each side with a 150 feet (46 meters) length. The building was supported by 40 rows of stone pillars with 40 pillars which totaled 1600 pillars. In each level there were 1000 rooms and 100 windows. The building of Lovamahapaya was adorned with corals and precious stones. Its roof was covered with copper-bronze plates (hence the name ‘Brazen palace’).
Superstructure of the Lovamahapaya probably would have been wood and the height of this building deceased with time. This building was destroyed by fire during king Saddhatissa (137-119 BC) and it was built to seven stories. King Sirinaga II (240-242 AC) restored this building again to five levels. King Jettatissa (266-276 AC) once again raised the size of the building to seven levels.
The small building that now stands in the veritable forest of pillars is a modern chapter house currently being used by the Maha Vihara monastic order.