McCormick-Deering Tractor 1900’s circa.
McCormick-Deering, part of a line of farm machinery produced by International Harvester Company in the early 1900’s. It has metal wheels and, although now a uniform rust color, was undoubtedly originally painted the company’s signature gray with red wheels as all McCormick-Deerings were painted. The crank in the front shows that it was built before today’s electric starters were common. Others Posting for the theme are found here…. “MYSTIC” [photoblog.com] To join in go here for the month's list…. “Theme List” [photoblog.com]
Cockshutt Plow Company…..Cockshutt was a large tractor and machinery manufacturer based in Brantford, Ontario.
Originally founded as the Brantford Plow Works by James G. Cockshutt in 1877, the name was changed to the Cockshutt Plow Company when it was incorporated in 1882. After James died shortly thereafter, his brother William Foster Cockshutt took over as president. He remained until 1888, when another brother Frank Cockshutt became president of the company. In 1910, Henry Cockshutt, the youngest of the brothers, took over the leadership of the company. Under his direction, the company was able to obtain financing for acquisitions and expansion. Known for quality designs, the company became the leader in the tillage tools sector by the 1920s.
Cockshutt Plow Co……The Cockshutt farm equipment story begins in 1877 when James Cockshutt started the Brantford Plow Works Market Street South operation in Brantford, Ontario. In 1882, the Plow Works was incorporated as the Cockshutt Plow Company. The company's products included plows, cultivators, harrows, seeders, and rollers. Cockshutt Plow Company was formed as The Brantford Plow Works in 1877, by James Cockshutt. The first items produced by Cockshutt were stoves and walking plows. James was continuously improving products, making them more efficient. James Cockshutt passed away a few years later, and his father, Ignatius Cockshutt, became Vice-President and his brother W.F. Cockshutt became President. They decided to rename the company, and Cockshutt Plow Company came to life. In 1888, W.F. left the company to manage his own general store, therefore another brother, Frank, became the next President.
The Cockshutt family added new products to their growing product line every year, thus constantly needing more factory and storage space, as well as more employees. 1903 brought about a massive, new twenty-three acre plow factory. Another brother, Harry, took over the company in 1910, renewing their financing abilities. This allowed them to become a full-line company and stronger dealers. The company grew and grew, then in 1962, the farm equipment division was sold to The Oliver Corporation, and Cockshutt Plow Company became White Farm Equipment.Creditors forced the closure of White Farm Equipment in 1985 with the last shift coming on April 10, 1985.