Official Blog and Forum Launched!

Bled Castle

  • Posted Nov. 9, 2011 by Agnes Felber Viewed 3008 times
  • This is a migrated legacy post. Image resolution is low. Info

History of the castle

It has been over a thousand years since on 10 April 1004 the German king Henry II signed a donation deed in Trento, Tyrol, ceding the ownership of the Bled estate in Carniola to Albuin, Bishop of Brixen, and the Bishopric of Brixen as a sign of gratitude for the assistance the church offered to the Emperor in his attempts to strengthen the German rule in this part of Northern Italy. The charter makes no mention of the castle. Most likely, only a Romanesque tower stood on a steep white rock at the time. In 1011 Henry II signed another deed of donation to include the castle and the land in the size of thirty king's farms (i.e. the area between the Sava Bohinjka and the Sava Dolinka).

Upon the first subsequent mention of Bled made in 1011 in another Henry II's donation deed, the name was explicitly used to refer to the castle on the rock – castellum Veldes. This 1011 charter is proof to the fact that at that time the castle building had already been erected. After the year 1000, the Bishops of Sabien moved the seat of their South Tyrolean bishopric between Brenner and Bolzano to Brixen. The deed of donation referring to the Bled estate was kept in the bishopric archives in Brixen.

Join the conversation!
    Login or Signup using following options to comment Login or Signup below to comment
    Login Sign up

    9 There are 9 comments, add yours!

    • #
      2011.11.09 Edited

      Interesting shots of this amazing castle on the rocks. Looks like the day was a bit gray, but who cares when you have all this to look at! Love the window shot in #7 and you even shot the commode! LOL!

    • #
      2011.11.09 Edited

      milyen sok azonosság van az ausztriai várakkal ! - mondom én felfedezve a spanyol viaszkot.
      ilyesmi budi (vagy még elegánsabb) van a sárospataki várban is.