Last Evening Of The Trip: SZENTENDRE
- Posted Dec. 4, 2011 by Agnes Felber in Travel. Viewed 2679 times
- This is a migrated legacy post. Image resolution is low. Info
Populated for well over a millennium, under the Romans it was called Ulcisia Castra, meaning “Wolf Castle”. Since the 16th century it was considered the center of the Hungarian Serb community. At one point it had as many as eight Serbian Orthodox church buildings and 3 chapels, and only one each Roman-Catholic and Evangelical. It is still the see of the Buda Diocese of the Serb Orthodox Church. Szentendre and the surrounding villages were also inhabited by Bulgarians ever since the Middle Ages. It had a Bulgarian neighbourhood of settlers from Chiprovtsi and a Chiprovtsi church. The names of locals clearly hint at a Bulgarian population.
In the 18th century, after liberation from the Turks, Szentendre enjoyed a rebirth with Mediterranean leanings, as Serbian, Croatian, Slovak, German and Greek newcomers moved in and lived alongside the Magyar inhabitants. According to the 1720 data, 88% of the population of the town were South Slavs (mostly Serbs, but also some South Slavic Catholics). The town to this day is characterised by a south European atmosphere with much baroque architecture, churches of various faiths, narrow sidestreets, and cobblestone roads.
Szentendre has been the home of many generations of Hungarian artists since early 20th century. There are many museums and contemporary galleries representing the rich traditions of the visual arts.
Today it is a popular tourist destination.
9 There are 9 comments, add yours!