Travel Diary 40: Perugia - Around the Duomo

by Agnes Felber November. 08, 2013 2542 views

The history of Perugia goes back to the Etruscan period. Perugia was one of the main Etruscan cities. The city is also known as the universities town, with the University of Perugia founded in 1308 (about 34,000 students), the University for Foreigners (5,000 students), and some smaller colleges such the Academy of Fine Arts “Pietro Vannucci” (Italian: Accademia di Belle Arti “Pietro Vannucci”) public athenaeum founded on 1573, the Perugia University Institute of Linguistic Mediation for translators and interpreters, the Music Conservatory of Perugia, founded on 1788, and others Institutes.
Perugia is a well-known cultural and artistic centre of Italy. The famous painter Pietro Vannucci, nicknamed Perugino, was a native of Città della Pieve near Perugia. He decorated the local Sala del Cambio with a beautiful series of frescoes. Perugino was the teacher of Raphael, the great Renaissance artist who produced five paintings in Perugia and one fresco. Another famous painter, Pinturicchio, lived in Perugia.
The city symbol is the griffin, which can be seen in the form of plaques and statues on buildings around the city.

Hotel Europa on Viale Pompeo Pellini

In the old town , Corso Pietro Vanucci

Piazza IV Novembre in front of the Cathedral

Fontana Maggiore

The Fontana Maggiore is a monumental medieval fountain located between the cathedral and the Palazzo dei Priori. It was made between 1277 and 1278 by sculptors Nicola Pisano and Giovanni Pisano. The hydraulics were by Fathers Bevignate and Boninsegna.
The fountain was part of program of civic improvements begun in 1278 to celebrate the autonomy of the free commune of Perugia. On the twenty-five sides of the basin are sculptures representing prophets and saints, the labors of the months, the signs of the zodiac, scenes from Genesis, and events from Roman history.

The Palazzo dei Priori

The unfinished facade of the Cathedral

St Bernardino's pulpit pulpit is composed of ancient fragments and Cosmatesque mosaics. The Sienese Saint preached here in 1425 and 1427.

From the establishment of the bishopric, a cathedral existed in Perugia in different locations, until, in 936-1060, a new edifice, corresponding to the transept of the present cathedral, was built here. The current cathedral, dedicated from the beginning as the Cathedral of San Lorenzo and Sant'Ercolano dates from a project of 1300 by Fra Bevignate that was initiated in 1345 and completed in 1490. The external decoration in white and pink marble lozenges (adapted and taken from from the Cathedral of Arezzo) was never completed. After the next unsuccesful war with Arezzo, the Perugians had to return the marble to Arezzo, thus leaving their facade unfinished.

The main entrance to the Cathedral faces a much smaller square, Piazza Dante.

Two hidden gems in this street: The Collegio del Cambio and the Collegio della Mercanzia

  Be the first to like this post
Join the conversation
2
There are 2 comments , add yours!
Dottie B. 6 years, 6 months ago

Csak úgy hívogatják az embert a képek, hogy beléjük másszon...

6 years, 6 months ago Edited
Paolo Martini 6 years, 6 months ago

You visited all Italy, Agnes !!!

6 years, 6 months ago Edited
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com