From the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation website:Carr School was designed in the Tudor Gothic style by William Stanton, a well-known architect who had designed many religious, public, commercial and residential buildings across Mississippi. The school was built in 1924 by the E. G. Parish Construction Company of Jackson, Tennessee, at a cost of $220,000. It was named in honor of John P. Carr who had served as the superintendent of the Vicksburg Public Schools for 18 years prior to the completion of the school and who would continue to serve for seven more years. In 1932, the school became a high school and it remained such until 1959 when it reverted to a junior high school. Carr closed in 1979 when classes shifted throughout the city. The building is vacant and would be easily converted into apartments.