This industrial lime kiln in the Yorkshire Dales was built in 1873 and shut down in 1937. It had 22 burning chambers. Limestone was burned continuously in a circuit around the kiln. As one chamber burned, the waste heat warmed the limestone blocks in the next chamber. The lime produced was used used for many things including papermaking, manufacture of steel, sugar refining and chocolate.