Anyway, new life is also what Mohács, where we go to after our visit to the monument, finally got. That took until the Turks were expelled, but then the city was repopulated by mainly Serbian, Croatian and German migrants. Despite the fact that the German-speaking population largely disappeared for various reasons in the centuries that followed - the aftermath of the Second World War especially -, the number of people of Croatian descent is still large, and the city is still somewhat trilingual.
It is not really strange that we come across two statues with three characters on the market square. On the one hand, in front of the City Hall, three women, on the other, three men. The age of the statue with the men is clearly higher and also fits seamlessly with the story about the Battle of Mohács in the previous posts (see here, here, here, here and here): it also reminds of the Battle of Mohács, but then the second.
In 1687 the battle between the Muslim armies and the Christian armies was repeated. This time, the Turks were led by Sultan Mehmet IV and the Christians by the Habsburg duke Charles of Lorraine. The latter had already succeeded in breaking the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683 and won battle after battle in the years that followed, but when the Turks attacked at Mohács they shattered the formation of the Habsburg army, which lost 5,000 to 8,000 troops. However, the Turks failed to capitalize on that success, their Mamluks suffered great losses and the Balkan mercenaries lost their morale. The entire Turkish force, including their pasha, was killed. Almost a mirror image of what happened during the first battle. A mirror image that led to the Turkish army rebelling and ousting Sultan Mehmet IV, completely paralyzing the Ottoman Empire and allowing the Habsburg forces to achieve great victories over the Turks and penetrate far into the Balkans. Reason enough to create a memory of that Second Battle of Mohács.
On the other side of the square, the three women recall something different and they do so in Hungarian, Croatian and German with a piece of text after Gotthold Ephraim Lessing:
“Reichet Einander die Hand hier, kommet! ...
Möge ein jeder seinen Brauch bewahren.
Die eigene Mutter für die Schönste halten.
Mögen eure Sprachen tausendfach erklingen.
Doch nur eine Sprache des Herzens lebt in uns.”
I do not know whether the architecture of the town hall can also be considered as that "language of the heart", but the building from 1924-1926 is one in Hungarian style, although with "oriental motifs" and a lot of domes.