Deggendorf is located on the left bank of the Donau (Danube), about half way between Regensburg and Passau. Traces of earlier settlements in the area date back approximately 8000 year, but the first written mention of Deggendorf occurred in 868 (about 350 years later it was mentioned as a town for the first time).
In 1336 Deggendorf had become an expanding market town, but (most probably) due to a fire that destroyed large parts of the town and the massive indebtedness to the local Jewish community that followed that fire, the rest of the community decided that it didn't like Jews and murdered most of them in a still well known pogrom.
There's of course no connection to what happened next, but in the years following the massacre the city regained some of its former wealth and the construction of the basilica (Heilig Grab Kirche) was completed by 1400, which became the start of a very succesful pilgrimage (Deggendorfer Gnad) reaching 6 figure attendances in the 18th and 19th century.
But enough of this history lesson, let's start the visit. With the Heilig Grab Kirche, of course.