Sankt Michael is a village built around a so called Wehrkirche. The Wehrkirche zum heiligen Michael is, like any other Wehrkirche, a fortified church, thus not only church but also fortification. And one with a long history: around 800 Charlemagne replaced the heathen sacrificial place with a sanctuary dedicated to Saint Michael; 700 years later this Roman church was replaced with a Late Gothic one, meanwhile adding the fortifications. That didn't stop Spanish troops from burning the church tower in 1532, nor did it stop an other fire destroying the rest of the church building in 1630. Between 1631 and 1643 a new church, this time in Early Baroque style was built, which in 1948 had to be renovated because it was close to collapsing. Since 1968 it is open to visit again.
In this post a look at the Danube from near the church, a look at the church from near the Danube, and a look at the village from the top of that round tower in #3: