Popular Ghost Town posts on PhotoBlog.com

In a remote area of the San Juan Mountains near Telluride is what’s left of the gold mining town of Alta. But Alta has even more of a claim to fame because of…

Negra was a settlement on NM-60 that hoped to be a town, once the AT&SF railroad completed the Belen Cut-off. The cut-off enabled trains to pass through the…

San Ignacio is a ranching community and technically a ghost town, 18 miles west of Santa Rosa. Perhaps 50 people live here today. The town name commemorates St.…

This is what is left of San Pedro. About 180 people live in the area, but San Pedro, which is off NM-344 and about 30 miles out of Albuquerque, is considered a…

Bluitt is a ghost town in SE New Mexico. The village is located about 12 miles east of Milnesand, on NM-262. The name came from the Bluitt Ranch in Texas, as…

Thoreau is located at the interection of I-40 and NM-371. The historic U.S. Route 66 passes near and through the community. Practically all residents pronounce…

Folsom is a village in Union County, in a valley by the Dry Cimarron River. Present population is 77. The town was named after Frances Folsom, the fiancee of…

In the first half of the 19th century, the Folsom area was a hunting ground for Comanche, Ute, and Jicarilla Apache Indians. The first White settlement near…

White Lakes was on NM-285, 15 miles northwest of Clines Corners. Mostly an area of connected ranches, it also contains a basin that feeds into several lakes in…

Fierro is an archaic form of hierro, the Spanish word for “iron,” and iron is the reason the town was born in the first place. The mining history goes back to…

Every once in a while, we find ourselves in corners of New Mexico that are desolate. No signs of human life, and in many cases, not animal life, either. On one…

Encinoso is a settlement on NM-246, on the North side of the Capitan Mountains. In 1915, R.A. Durn and Sam Farmer settled here, opening a general store and…

Claunch, on NM-55, is a tiny settlement that took its name from L.H. Claunch and his Claunch Cattle Company, whose headquarters were nearby. While Mr. Claunch…

Just inside the state line, 48 miles northeast of Tucumcari, Nara Visa is not a complete ghost town, but certainly is a shell of its former self. Present…

Bueyeros is located on NM-102, 20 miles northeast of Mosquero. Its name comes from a Spanish word meaning "ox drivers." As you might expect from the name, this…

Sergeant James C. Cooney laid out a town on site of Alma in the early 1870s on what is now NM-180, but left it undeveloped. The town was bought by a Captain…

Elizabethtown, 5 miles north of Eagle Nest on NM-38, began in 1866 with the founding of area gold mines and the Mystic Copper Mine. It was New Mexico's first…

Palma was a settlement on NM-60, 35 miles northwest of Vaughn. In New Mexico, the word palma refers to the soapweed, or yucca plant, so it's logical to assume…

Colmor is an abandoned railroad town between Colfax and Mora counties, on NM-569. One road leads to the former community from the highway, and on that road is a…
Loading...
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com