Pasta is one of the staples found in our house. And there isn't a week that goes by that we don't have some sort of a meal which includes pasta. It might be orzo, or fettuccine, or tagliatelle, or spaghetti, or ricatoni, or...........you get the idea. In our house we love pasta! It's possible that I have Italian blood running through my veins or it could be that having lived in Italy at the onset of my education, I acquired a strong taste for pasta, whatever the case might be bottom line PASTA is part of our weekly menu.
One of my other hobbies besides photography is perusing cookbooks ( I have copious amounts of cookbooks ) or the internet for new recipes. Sometimes these new found recipes land on our dinner table never to return and other times, they land a multitude of times. The Pesto Shrimp & Mushroom Fettuccine is one that has made its presence several times and one that will continue to do encores.
It is a very easy recipe to follow and one that can be made with homemade pesto or even store bought. My favorite store bought pesto is Prego. It has tremendous amount of garlic and you definitely have to be a garlic lover to enjoy this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 10 oz white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (plus more if needed)
- 1/2 cup sodium free chicken broth (adjust salt if not sodium free)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (thyme, oregano, basil - combined)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chopped fresh basil
- 10 oz fettuccine pasta (use gluten free for gluten free version)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Put shrimp in a mixing bowl and rub in seasoning mixture. Mix well to make sure shrimp is coated well. Add to the hot pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, turning once midway, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from the skillet.
- Add second tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Once the pan is hot, add sliced mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring, until mushrooms release liquid and reduce in volume and get soft, for about a minute or two.
- Add minced garlic for the last few minutes, when mushrooms are almost ready. Sauté for 1-2 minutes and then add back the cooked shrimp.
- Add pesto, stir, and then deglaze the pan with the white wine. Add the stock and allow to reduce, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil, add pasta and cook it according to instructions. Drain the pasta, but do not rinse.
- Add pasta to the skillet and stir until pasta is fully coated in sauce.
- Allow to warm for 2 minutes, and then portion and serve. Season with more salt and additional red pepper flakes, if desired.