The altar screen, is made of oak and depicts Jesus enthroned in heaven when flanked by angels. The screen was painted by the firm of Heaton, Butler, and Bayne of London, England.
Adorning the walls and part of the ceiling are Arts and Crafts Gothic Revival hand-stenciled designs by artist E. J. Neville Stent
Most of the windows in the nave were installed around 1888 and were also made by the firm of Heaton, Butler, and Bayne of Lonon, England.
St James Cathedral is the oldest church of the Anglican Communion and Episcopal tradition in the Chicago area, and was founded in 1834.
It was originally built as a parish church, but that building was mostly destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire. The only item that survived the fired was the bell tower which was then incorporated into the rebuilt church. St. James received the status of cathedral in 1928 after the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul was destroyed in a fire in 1921, but the arrangement was terminated in 1931. On May 3, 1955, St. James was again designated the cathedral and was formally set apart on June 4, 1955. (source)