St Patrick’s Cathedral is the mother church of the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne. The Centenary of its official opening and Consecration was marked in 1997; however, the first Mass was celebrated on the site in February 1858 in a former partially completed church, some of which was incorporated into the south aisle of the present building. By 1868, the completed nave of the Cathedral first served the needs of the community for regular worship and prayer.
Designed by William Wardell, St Patrick’s is regarded internationally as the finest ecclesiastical building in Australia and a pre-eminent example of the Gothic Revival style. The austere facade gives little hint of the glorious interior with its ethereal golden light of mesmerizing beauty. (source)
Since its opening, St. Patrick’s has suffered some wear and tear so, to celebrate the centenary of its consecration in 1997, the cathedral was shut completely in 1994 in order to be restored to its former glory. Nothing was added, but a significant amount of conservation work was carried out, including fixing up the stained glass windows. Overall, the restoration process lasted between 1992 and 1997, and involved teams of experienced stonemasons and stained-glass craftsman who handled traditional materials no longer used in the building trade. (source)