Last weekend a group of eight "click clickers" including myself had the opportunity to spend a few hours in one of the older buildings in Springfield. This particular building had been purchased by the Ursuline Sisters in 1857 and had been established as a private, all girls, Catholic High School.
By 1929, the Ursuline Sisters established Springfield College on the north end of the property, which then allowed them to bill themselves as a college preparatory school. Students attending the school would simultaneously receive high school and college credit for courses taken.
By 1981 the enrollment of this high school dropped to the point where the administrators opened their doors to boys and transformed the high school from an all girls' to a co-ed. This new setup did increase enrollment, enabling the school to have as many as 300 students registered at one time.
But by 2007, because of once again dwindling enrollment, the school was permanently shut down. The building was left abandoned, although it was registered and placed on the historical landmark list.