TRAINING SHIP PALINURO #5
- Posted Aug. 19, 2011 by Cpneumann Viewed 491 times
TRAINING SHIP PALINURO
A classic barquentine built in 1934 in Nantes,France, by the shipyard Chantiers Dubigeon she was originally named “Commandant Louis Richard” and was fitted for cod fishing in Newfoundland.
Acquired by Italian Navy after ww2 in 1951, she was completely restored and adpted to be a training ship. Rebuilding took place in the Maritime Arsenal in La Spezia: the former storage space for fish becomes accomodation for cadets and the bow has been was enriched by the dummy Palinuro (Palinuro in Roman mythology was the helmsman of the ship which drove Aenea from Troy). After rebuilding the ship came into service July 16, 1955 and since then she is used for training naval cadets.
7 There are 7 comments, add yours!