Burry Port is a small coastal town in the South of Wales.
The harbour was built in the early 1830s and was the main port for exporting coal from the surrounding areas.
The Harbour initially was named the Pembrey New Harbour and was a larger upgrade to the smaller harbour just along the coast.
The harbour's name was changed by an act of parliament in 1835 to Burry Port Harbour and thus gave the name to the Town of Burry Port.
Today the harbour has been developed into the local Marina and also houses the lifeboat station.
The lighthouse was built in 1842 and was restored in the mid 1990's by Llanelli Borough Training, with the support of the Burry Port Yacht Club with Trinity House*** supplying the lantern for the structure which was officially reopened on 9th February 1996 by the Mayor of Llanelli
The lighthouse is quite small with its walls being just 24ft high with the gallery and lantern on top.
The lantern light is visible for 15 miles and is an important landmark for the marina.
***Trinity House is a charity dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers, providing education, support and welfare to the seafaring community with a statutory duty as a General Lighthouse Authority to deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective aids to navigation service for the benefit and safety of all mariners