Known locally as "The Monks Bath" this ancient building has the name Ffynnon Gyffyr which seems a little vague. It is also known as the Spring well or the Medicinal Well.
The date of construction is thought to stretch back to the 12 or 13th century.
It is very close to the Abbey of Margam, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, at Margam which was founded in 1147.
The structure is where the monks of the abbey bathed.
The interior contains an L-shaped pool, about 1m deep with well-built stone walls. Although the pool is fed by a water inlet at the Northern end, it is evident that water enters the pool at a lower level through the stonework.
The building is now Listed grade II as an unusual and complete survival of a medieval baptistry and holy well.
It is on the pathway from Margam country park to Capel Mair ar y Bryn ('The chapel of St Mary on the hill') a small ruined chapel overlooking the borough and the beautiful Margam Country Park. (more in a later post).