The East Usk Lighthouse was constructed in 1893 by Trinity House.
It exhibits the remaining operational light of the two lighthouses this one on the east bank and the other on the west bank of the river Usk.
Originally built on legs, these were eventually covered as the level of the land increased due to the tipping of fly ash from the Uskmouth Power Station.
The lighthouse Displays a Port Entry Light consisting of occulting Red, White and Green light sectors that guide shipping into the entrance of the Newport dredged channel.
It was the first Trinity House lighthouse in the UK to use the Dalén Sun Valve, an ingenious device for turning an unwatched light on and off using daylight. Combined with the flashing apparatus, the sun valve saved 94% of the gas compared to having the light operating all the time.
And across the river:-
The West Usk Lighthouse, on the opposite side, was decommissioned in the 1920s.
The lighthouse was the first to be built by renowned Scottish civil engineer James Walker in 1821. Amongst other projects, Walker went on to build another 21 lighthouses.
The West Usk Lighthouse now is a cosy bed & breakfast and small wedding venue.