Dust On The Lens's posts from March 2018

We are in love with small-town, sometimes unincorporated, very rural New Mexico and abandoned buildings that stand before the environment takes them back.…

The Conquistadors brought fast, strong and sturdy work horses from Spain and Portugal that carried the explorers through the jungles and across the deserts in…

The prickly pear (Genus Opuntia) is an edible cactus plant that often grows in arid and semi-arid regions. A member of the Cactaceae or cactus family, it’s also…

This is what's left of Agua Negra. Agua Negra, meaning "black water", is seven miles north and a little west of Mora on the Maxwell Land Grant and on the Mora…

Newkirk is a mostly deserted town (present population is 7) along the original Route 66, between Santa Rosa and Tucumcari. Growing slowly, the town sprouted…

Lake Arthur (known in earlier records as Tar Lake) is 11 miles north of Artesia. Population is 432 (107 families in town). Although Lake Arthur has lost…

Upton is on NM-330. Fifteen miles north of Elida, the community of Upton sprang to life when an early settler, W. G. Upton, homesteaded there and gave it his…

Named after the Spanish word for burned, Quemado is located in an extinct volcanic area. This community was first settled in 1880 by Jose Antonio Padilla, who…

Many people who have never seen New Mexico picture it as a desert - hot and brown, with little vegetation. In actuality, 6 out of the 7 known life zones in the…

The Kenna Store in Kenna. Over the years, this has been and still is used as a store, gas station, post office and community center. Kenna is 30 miles south of…

Founded in 1909, Tatum is a small community of 683 people with a history of working hard. Cattle by the thousands grow fat on the many ranches that surround…

Variadero, also known as Garita, is a small community on NM-104. The community's two names both come from Spanish terms; Variadero derives from variar,…
Loading...
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com