The railroad line between Roswell and Amarillo, Texas was completed in 1898 and while the railroad that ran through Portales was a boon to cattlemen for its shipping convenience, it also soon brought change in the form of homesteaders bent on turning the broad valley into farmland.
In 2013, the Portales Train Depot celebrated 100 years. This brick depot replaced a wooden structure in 1913 that was deemed “unfit for passengers to travel.”
ATSF built the new depot station similar to other New Mexican stations with the red clay rile roof, wood details, parapet copings and brick which was later covered with pebble-dashed stucco to evoke the Mission Revival style. The train line ran on coal until the 1950’s, when it switched to diesel.
The train no longer stops for passengers, but the tracks are still used for transporting coal, grain and other freight.