Every once in a while, we find ourselves in corners of New Mexico that are desolate. No signs of human life, and in many cases, not animal life, either.
On one Saturday, we found ourselves at the crossroads of CR-16 and NM-120 between Yates and Roy. As best as we could tell, we were in Yates. Or what is left of it. Yates was named for "Uncle Jim Yates", who settled here in 1908.
We came upon this intriguing abandoned house on CR-16, in the middle of Nowhere. Literally, there was no one or nothing for 20 miles in either direction.
Judging from the appliances in the kitchen, this house was last inhabited around 1950 or so.
Yates appeared on an older map that we carry but is not shown on a newer one that we purchased. It is officially considered a ghost town by the state.
This house has a story, and we'd love to know it.