From the time San Antonio de Las Huertas was established in 1765 until it was evacuated by the governor in 1823, Catholic masses, marriages, baptisms and burials were held at the San Felipe Mission seven miles northeast of Placitas.
When Placitas was resettled (by about 1840), the Catholic Church was providing services to the Placitas area. There was no church at the time, but the masses were held in chapels at various locations throughout Placitas until the turn of the century.
At that time the present church was built and the cemetery established, and has served the people since (although Placitas has never had a resident priest; it, like many small New Mexico towns, is served by a priest that holds mass in many churches in the area).
In 1984, the old school, adjacent to the present church, was acquired and was renovated to be used as a parish hall. Fund raisers were held, most of the work was done by local citizens, members and friends of San Antonio Mission. The completed hall was dedicated by Archbishop Sanchez.
The mission is now considered a historical property.