Tres Piedras (Spanish for "three rocks," alluding to a nearby mountain range) is adjacent to the Carson National Forest and is located about 30 miles northwest of Taos and west of the Rio Grande on U.S. Route 64.
At about 8,000 feet in altitude, it is located within the southern portion of the San Juan Range of the Rocky Mountains. It is on the western edge of a sagebrush plain, with ponderosa pines growing throughout the village.
Between 1880 and 1941, Tres Piedras was a railroad stop on the narrow gauge Chili Line railroad that operated between Antonito, CO and Santa Fe, NM. The village still has the old railroad water tower.