Holman is a ranching and farming community five miles northwest of Mora. The area where the settlement was founded was originally called San Antonio lo de Mora or El Valle de San Antonio.
The settlement was later called Agua Negra meaning "Black Water." The Agua Negra post office was established in this community and served intermittently until 1892.
Charles W. Holman opened his store and submitted the petition to reestablish a post office. He requested his surname be used as the name of the office. This is one of many examples in New Mexico where the name of the post office did not reflect the name of the community. In this case, the community accepted the new name and has survived.
Under 100 people live here now. There is the remains of an old store with the town name still visible, as well as a spectacular steepled church, which we'll share in another post. On the day these were taken, storms and flash floods loomed.