Destiny is a wonderful word ! To me it almost sounds regal ! But in fact this is just a fancy word for ‘fate’. Do you ever sit, staring out a window and wonder about your destiny. How you got to this point and where to from here ?
I often think of the 1980’s version of myself doodling in class and wondering what my future looked like. How we would work out how old we would be in 2010 and say “phew we shall be so old”. And now 2010 has come and gone along with many different experiences ranging from professional to personal.
Our mind becomes more and more filled with a collage of images of people loved and lost for different reasons. I often sit and look into my various memories as if a slideshow of people that have made an impact in my life. From those that have tried to break my spirit to those that have inspired me to dream big and often to defy all the odds.
Recently I had the opportunity to speak to a group of multinational women (aged between 18 – 25) and this informal discussion led me to a couple of thoughts namely :
- The world has changed so much since I was 18 not only technologically but also emotionally.
- How I wish I had been as brave, as confident when I was their age – where would I be now ?
- Everyone has their own story, no matter your nationality or even age.
- No matter a person’s age, you can learn something new from anyone – you just need to listen.
- Make your own opportunities, don't wait for them to come knocking. One opportunity will always lead to another and another.
- Don’t think outside the box, don’t get into the box in the first place.
- Create a bucket list even if only in your mind.
- Decide on short and long term goals. They do not have to be convoluted or written in concrete, just have a path, a rough draft of what you wish to do / learn in this lifetime.
- Use a vision board or world map, of what you wish to do.
- Don’t let others decide what you can or cannot do. You have your own mind so use it !
So what do you want to do differently from today ?
I would love to hear from you, so leave a comment below.
Much love, Jennifer