We all want to give back to our communities but we don't always have the spare money to do so.
Here are a few ways to help in other ways:
- Donate your old clothes to churches or recycle hubs.
- Help to clean up parks, roads, beaches, etc.
- Provide a mentorship programme as part of your business - share your knowledge.
- Offer your services free to a few chosen charities per year.
- Volunteer at homeless shelters
- Lend your hands at soup kitchens.
- Recycle your trash.
- Volunteer at pet shelters - even walking the dogs is a huge help.
- Donate blood or plasma.
- Help promote and support your small local businesses.
- Be aware of those in need in your building or community.
- Be kind to others.
- Offer a smile to others.
- Help your own family.
- Assist with yard sales.
- Volunteer at schools/senior centres/hospitals/etc.
- Coach little league sports teams.
- Tutor someone.
- Serve on your community board.
- Do something nice for your local police station or fire fighter - a muffin basket goes a long way to lift spirits.
- Help to paint or beautify your neighbourhood.
- Create a neighbourhood garden (after gaining permission).
- A random act of kindness to a neighbour or stranger.
- Assist with fundraisers.
- Don't litter.
- Drive courteously.
- Help a child or orphanage in need.
- Plant a tree.
- Build a curbside library or food pantry in your garden.
- Reconnect with an old friend.
- Donate old (but working) computer equipment to your community centre or someone who desperately needs it.
- Offer to babysit for a friend.
- Adopt a flowerbed to upkeep in your area.
- Spend time with friends and family (without your cell phone at your side).
- Write a thank you note to your parents, friends or someone that deserves the thanks.
- Be a muse for someone.
- Vote during voting times.
- Share only good news on social media.
- Think before you speak.
- Watch your nearest parking metre to help someone out as a random act of kindness.
We are in this world together. There is always something that can be done to make it a better place. Whether big or small, every bit of kindness helps.
If there is anything missing on this list, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.
"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Mahatma Gandhi
p.s. Check out my blog post on Women Boss Society.