So today marks our second day living in our new city called Lanzhou which is in the Gansu Province in northern China.
Here are some essential observations:
- Winter is winter. Today was 3C with blue skies and sunshine.
- People are taller and friendlier.
- People are more polite especially when it comes to queues.
- Very few foreigners so a lot of people are curious about us.
- Driving is more polite, slower-paced and ALOT less hooting.
- Blue taxis (metered) are more popular here.
- People are not as fashion conscious as there is less spending money available.
- Fashions seem more simple and less brand orientated.
- Most men (older men) wear dark clothing refer to "men in black" pic above.
- The city atmosphere seems more relaxed.
- Lots of new construction and development.
- More animals visible: dogs (owned and stray), geese, birds (magpies)
- Tai Chi happens anywhere from parks to the pavement in front of Starbucks.
- Western Franchises are very popular: Starbucks, Burger King, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC.
I shall post more as we experience more in our new home. Drop me questions/comments below.
“A place is only as good as the people in it.” ― Pittacus Lore