Alternatives to Nik Silver Effects

(Russell Smith) #1

Sadly it does not look like Nik Silver Effects is a dead program . While I love the program sooner I fear than later it will quit working . With this in mind I typically migrate the photos I want to convert to black and white to this program and do the conversion there. I know I can do similar things in Photoshop and or lightroom but I like the workflow and layout of Silver effects for Black and White. I am looking for a similar program that is maintained so it will continue to work for the foreseeable future. The only other thing that is a must for me is that the program work on windows and I do not own a Mac . I am open to any suggestions or experiences with other programs . I have considered Topaz Labs Black and White Effects as a possible alternative but it has gone no further than that.

(Berckmans Peter) #2

Hey Russel, I use photoscape for my edits.very simple program and free

(Camellia) #3

@russsmith have you looked into ON1 Photo Raw?

(Russell Smith) #4

I am looking at the 2018 version of it now. Not 100% sure how I feel about it . Will play with it some more and see.

(Terry Chua) #5

I started using RawTherapee, a free open-source software with nice feature. So far does a nice job processing my monochrome and they are still improving :slight_smile: Check them out.

(Longchamp Henri) #6

Hello Russel, DxO Labs buyed the Nik software license from Google and began to incorporate its technology into its software, beginning with the U-point technology.
Look at DxO Photolab wich is a wonderful RAW developper.

As far as today Nik software still works in Photoshop CC 2018.

(Russell Smith) #7

I am glad they have bought it . I hope it keeps getting updated/better.