Anyone a food photographer

(Timothy Bullock) #1

Just what to know If anyone loves food photography. I do and it’s a good way to show people your cooking skills or baking skills. Please comment on this if you have any ideas for pictures and I may take your Idea a post a picture of it on my blog!

(Ram Ya) #2

Hey Timothy, I think @russsmith can pitch in a few ideas for you.

As for me, I like food photography that shows a lot of texture, so I often increase my sharpness even when I take photos of food from my mobile. Would love to see some of your work here. Thanks.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #3

I do food photography occasionally, but I’m reviewing cookbooks (my daughter is a chef) very often. Analyzing the food photography in this books is a “hobby of mine”. The changes are in the last years - maybe 5 upt to 10 years - are in Europe clear visible:

• high key goes with lot of white decoration (napkins, candles) and vintage china and cuttlery.
  • low hey goes with " farm style" (dark structured wooden table without tablecloth), without and less costly vintage decoration (grey-green-blue old napkins or plaid or striped cotton towels and cuttlery with wooden grip.

There is a complete different style of food photography in Asia (eg minimalism) and in the US (eg pioneer style) going on, which is also related to cultural background and different ideas of preparing food and presentation.

Interesting would be to see food photography as an art with a typical personal touch. If you are a skilled cook/baker you will have a very typical way to do it. Let this cooking style be visible in your photography. Create a specific presentation style for yourself!
My suggestion: play with structures and shapes - maybe also with light and shadows - and go for minimalism, because there is an overflow of baroque decoration lately going on until you can’t find the morsel on the plate anymore!

I like food photography (of course I have books in my mind and not single presentations!), which follows a straight concept of color for specific food (fish is always in one color and the meat is always in another color and both products will stay with their color in every picture). But I don’t like common combinations (eg orange/black for pumpkin recipes).

It would be normal to put chinese food on a asiatic looking plate or in a chinese bowl or in a fastfood card box.
I like presentations, which are “outside of the box”, something disturbing maybe something as eye catching as appetizing, but different as expected. For example I arrange sometimes this incredible sweet and colorful Indian delights on Japanese tableware as if they would be sushi, wasabi, ginger and soy sauce. People will have to look twice until they will recognize it - way more fun for everybody this way!

I’m looking forward to see a lot of your food photography - and maybe read some recipes too …

(Timothy Bullock) #4

I agree with low key. I like low key. It does seem to fit better. I like high key too if you want to show more of a decorating idea for food photography.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #5

Did you read the 10 Food Photography Tips? Some of the pictures are exact in the styles described before.
Yes low key goes well with hearty food, but higk key is as light as the delights look for which it is used very often. High key seems to be the optical eraser for calories.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Must be funny to photograph food in a preselected color and the rest in monochrome. Never thought about it before.
It could be worth to try it.

(Ashely Rosa) #6

hi there! Thanks for loving food photography

(Russell Smith) #7

I love food and tend to shoot it more often that not. Any questions you can ask there is a 50% chance I might be able to help even if it is a case of what not to do .

(Rachel The Introvert) #8

I’m blown away by how informative that was was! Struggle with photographing food and these are amazing tips. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with others. :heart:

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #9

Thanks, I’m glad I could provide some useful tips!