Building an Audience

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #1

I was asked about my blog by Heidi: views and readership. Before she asked me, I didn’t give the topic a lot of thoughts, although I did read Helen’s very informative blog post about building an audience as soon as I started blogging on Photoblog.

I’m a passionate blogger since early mankind painted mammuts on cave walls - or to be precise since 1996. Audience? Audience just happens, although I always tell everybody on Twitter, Facebook and - since G+ is dead - also on Instagram, that I posted something new. Btw. I use a lot of hashtags and I also built a collection of Twitter moments. Nevertheless, I’m astonished too, why some blog posts attract more audience, why some bloggers have a more and other bloggers less readers.

Maybe it would be interesting to share some thoughts and discuss experiences about audience (views, readers, comments and more).

(Camellia) #2

I wish I had an answer to your question as to why some bloggers attract more viewers than others, but unfortunately that is also a wondering on my part. What makes one person’s blog or post more appealing than another? Why do some of the people posting on Instagram for example, have such a volume of followers, and others just barely making it. I know there are many who have created posts and/or making money out of teaching others how to increase their followers but is there a system or is it a chance? Is it the number of platforms used by a blogger to post their blogs or the quality of the blogs that increases followers. For example Sigrid, if you do a search on yourself, you will notice that the first page of the google search has 9 links to your blogs including a Wikipedia entry. Is it the number of years of blogging that has increased it for you or the number of Twitter moments or the number of hashtags or …?

(Jennifer Raknerud) #3

Is it hitting the audience that it is attended for? I don’t know much but certain topics interest certain groups of people. I would think it is a kind of like winning a lottery and that somehow people are just lucky. I was on Twitter for a brief time because I didn’t understand it. I was surprised that celebrities or upcoming celebrities would follow me. Ha! But I am sure it was their assistant or a way of having their tweets followed because they sure didn’t interact with me but their numbers were huge. Of course, I found that rather fake and I would rather have the few that really care over the thousands any day.

(Berckmans Peter) #4

I have noticed, that young people have more activity on their blogs. They grow up with it and are not shy to share, give their opinion. I feel we are to protective over our work, it is not that we are making money with it. The youngsters share and share. Also they know a lot more of people on the social media; Building here on photoblog is not so easy. Sometimes I think where are they all, the members. We should browse more and give a bit more comment, I try it if have the time. So it is also the work you put into it to build it up;

(Camellia) #5

Peter I agree with you…our age, our experience, our life styles, make us more protective of ourselves hence we are more weary. For example I’ve been on Instagram for quite a few years but up until last year I had it set as private, but once I got the courage to open it up to public, I noticed quite a few followers, but some of those followers are not ones I would follow back and I think that is the difference between the new generation and the old. The “kids” don’t care who follows them and they go right back and follow those people.
I also agree with Jennifer that I would rather have a few that really care than a thousand who are just making comments just to show their presence.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #6

Jeez, I should do - as I call it - “ego googeln” more often! :flushed:
I think my two blog names are more unique than most blogs with the same target group. But I don’t think they will create audience. Maybe audience can be hooked not only be good/interesting/strange pictures, bit by a equal interresting headline. Actually I don’t know either therefore I couldn’t answer Heidi’s question.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #7

I think for professional photographers is audience important, but as more people write as more time will be spent on answering questions instead of taking pictures.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #8

I like Twitter, but I built over the years my own little " filter bubble", which mistly includes people with the same interests.
Maybe some of them visit photoblog just out of curiousity to enjoy my strange English. :rofl: