Photography that will be exhibited & possibly purchased, watermark or no?

(Anna Molly) #1

I had just posted about this:

The only other time I’ve displayed my photography was for my BFA thesis and watermarking was nowhere near as prevalent at that point.
So for this exhibition I’m not sure if I should watermark my images, especially if anyone does want to make a purchase, I know I wouldn’t want there to be a watermark on it. But I don’t want it to bite me in the butt if I don’t do it… thoughts? Thanks in advance!

(Berckmans Peter) #2

you can sign them in pencil , artist proof,if they are real photos. Not digital. You also can watermark them on display and offer a copy for sale without waternark.

(Anna Molly) #3

@peterphotowalks you are so helpful and full of great advice & ideas!! Thank you.
And that’s what I was thinking, watermarking is really for anything web/social media, these would be physical prints so I’m going to sign them in pencil, then if anyone does purchase my work they can frame it and not have to see a typed watermark within the image. Thank you again! :smiley:

(Berckmans Peter) #4

Check out, signing works AP ,artists proof,means that the artist has cleared this print to his standards. You also can number them, with a limited prints, value goes up. Succes. Hope my work gets displayed one time.

(Russell Smith) #5

Peterphotowalks said it quite well. I do not mind a small hand done signature if I am buying a piece or a signature and a number/of if limited set. If I am buying a photo I do not want a watermark on it or on the front of the image. That is my personal preference. To me I think of a watermark more of advertising who took it like on instagram, facebook or other social media. It is so easy to remove them now or at least the non digital ones (different method not visible on the image) . I do hope your image gets displayed and most exhibits I have seen have at minimum a snippet of who took the image to a more formal artistic bio of the artist/s.

(Chossid) #6

peterphotowalks
Why not a signature if digital? I’m showing in a friend’s gallery and she told me to sign them. She knows they’re digital.

Thanks!

(Berckmans Peter) #7

Sign them in pencil,you also can ad AP ( artists proove ). And number them, like 1 of 25 prints .

(Berckmans Peter) #8

If there is a change to sell them,buyers will not want to see a digital watetrmark.