Testing Ilford XP2 Super 400

(Piotr Matura) #1

Hi there,
I recently published some posts with photos made on Ilford XP2 Super 400 film.
I also talked a little about it in comments with @russsmith and promised to publish some “test” shots I made on the forum - here they are :wink:

For those of you, who may be interested, I’ll add some info about this film that I added in posts and comments before.

Ilford XP2 Super 400 is a chromogenic black and white film, which means it can be developed in C-41 process, the same as for color films, in any lab that does it. Due to “build” of its fotosensitive layers, to achieve “black and white” it has to be scanned in black and white mode, otherwise scans will have a sepia tint - at least it was my case (I fixed it by desaturating the images).

I read a bit about it and found out that it can be exposed at ISO from 50 to 800 and yield different results depending on that. From what I read so far, at ISO 400 it gives it’s regular image, at ISO 200 it’s supposed to have finer grain and then loose some contrast at ISO 100.

And here are the test photos I made:

ISO 200 on the left and ISO 400 on the right:

ISO 200 (I think I also set exposure to +1EV here), then ISO 400:

ISO 200, then ISO 400:

(Russell Smith) #2

Rather interesting on the differences thank you. Not sure which way I prefer it to be honest.

(Berckmans Peter) #3

Nice work ,I think the 400 for me

(Piotr Matura) #4

Thanks for your replies, @peterphotowalks and @russsmith !
So far for me 400 seem better, too.
But I started to dig more into the subject and maybe the 200 ones could be better if film was “pushed” in development.
I still know very little about it, but so far I learned that by adjusting development temperature and/or time it is possible to “push” underexposed film by one or more stops and get better contrast this way or different changes in the look of photos.

I’ll learn more, check if my lab could do this for me and maybe try it with another roll.