The future of the weekly theme

(Helen Hooker) #1

I’ve been running the weekly theme here on the forum for two and a half years now and I hope it’s been an enjoyable way to give us all specific things to shoot for. Over recent months the number of people participating has dwindled, so Ram and I have decided that perhaps the time has come to give the theme a break. This means the current photographic resolutions theme would be the final one, at least for now.

There’s no reason why we couldn’t restart the weekly theme sometime in the future, or if another forum member would like to take it over I’d be only to pleased to pass on the list of themes we’ve covered so far. Alternatively, we could have occasional themes and challenges, which might give longer for us all to get out and shoot and use them as a focus for our photography.

I’m open to suggestions from forum members and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

(Berckmans Peter) #2

Sorry to hear that. I hear people looking for challenges. A 365 or lately a 52 weeks. It would be easy when the blog has a real homepage where members can join a challenge without voting. Also you can have like a B&W group or portrait,nature etc. The homepage could look like a dashboard. Just an idea.

(Francis Parker) #3

It is unfortunate, but having both participated in and having been responsible for this in other groups I have belonged to in the past, I know how much work it is especially if participation is low.

Hopefully someone takes it over or perhaps a monthly version with a more general topic would be easier to manage. For example if a particular month was B&W then no matter what your interest was, it might be easier to complete the challenge and still stay within your area.

@peterphotowalks idea would also interest me. A group of 10 or 12 general themes such as B&W, landscape, etc.

(Helen Hooker) #4

Thank you both for your thoughts, I agree that some sort of more general and perhaps longer term challenge would still be useful. Let me have a think and I’ll post some ideas - we could even have a list set for the whole year so people have time to think about their approach. If anyone else has ideas and suggestions, please do chime in.

(Camellia Staab) #5

I am going to put in my two cents. I am one of the ones who has participated on and off in the weekly theme. More off than on. I find the fact that the weekly themes have an identity of themselves and not connected to the blog itself a problem. I have to remember to click on the forum in order to see what the theme for the week is, and sometimes I forget. Whereas if it was somehow connected to the original blog page and more visible then more people, including myself would be apt to participate. What if the weekly theme had its own tab instead of being under the “Forum” tab ? I think I am saying the same thing as Peter, the weekly theme needs to come out of “hiding” :slight_smile:

Result of last week's theme and more
(Helen Hooker) #6

Thanks for your thoughts Camellia - very much appreciated. I agree that having a direct link from the main Photoblog site would almost certainly help with participation - if it takes too many clicks of the mouse a lot of people won’t bother. I think a less frequent photo challenge could work well if we had access it it this way and we could perhaps have a different genre or style of photography each month - say wildlife, landscape, monochrome etc. I’ll drop Ram a line and see if this might be possible.

The other option is to create a blog where all those participating have the login details and we each add our contribution to the blog post for the new month’s theme. This would then be visible on the Photoblog platform like any other blog post.

(Camellia Staab) #7

Helen several of us are doing the 52frames.com challenge ( sort of like the weekly challenge we have here) mainly because there was no 365 challenge ideas posted on Photoblog. Yes I know the weekly theme is the same concept but again because it is so hidden hard to get to. Anyway my point being that the place does not have the feel of Photoblog and doubt it will ever have, but it might be a good place to look at for ideas of how to create a weekly blog here…just an idea. ( mind you they are having so many technical problems its not even funny, due to the barrage of people joining, including myself, looking for a challenge)

(Bethany Plonski) #8

Helen, after participating for a while now, I want to say that I sincerely appreciate what a wonderful job you have done putting together examples and ideas about how to approach the theme every week. I bookmarked many of them as ideas for myself to work with in the future. Thank you so much for that!

I like the idea of a monthly theme or theme groups because a longer time frame allows more flexibility. Everyone’s lives are hectic, but having a whole month (or an established group) to explore a topic is doable for most people.

I agree that posting the challenges in the forum made them less visible. I’d love to see something where challenges like the 52 Frames or monthly theme/topic groups would display in the main feed, like the options you mentioned. I wonder if it could just be added as another tab, like the Discover tab, but I’m not sure how any of that works on a technical level.