Weekly theme 10th June 2019 - People

(Helen Hooker) #1

After last week’s theme, which often resulted in some fairly abstract images, we’re going for a subject that surrounds us every day for the coming week…

This week’s theme is People

I’ve purposely kept the title of this theme simple, so as to encourage a variety of different approaches. Here are some ideas that occurred to me….

If you’re a portrait photographer this should be right up your street. Portraits can be immensely powerful, especially if there’s a connection between the subject and photographer. American photographer Rick Sammon often says, “The camera looks both ways” - meaning that your connection and interaction with the subject of your photo will also be reflected in the image. Shooting portraits of people (as opposed to candid street shots) is one of the areas where I feel most out of my comfort zone, precisely because I find it hard to know how to confidently direct my subjects. In this image by Justin Chen there’s a great connection with the subject. I find myself wondering what he’s thinking as the shot is taken.

If, like me, you’re not keen on formal portrait photography, there’s no reason why you can’t go out and photograph some people on the streets incognito. I love walking the streets, looking for those ‘decisive moments’, as Henri Cartier Bresson is often quoted as saying. This week I learnt that the phrase he originally used in French actually translates as ‘photography on the run’, which makes more sense in some situations!

Whether you go for the up close and personal approach, or take a wider view is your choice. It takes courage to get close to people, although very often they’re completely oblivious to your presence, as they’re wrapped up in their own world. This is a photo I took on the tube in London recently. I was just a metre or two from this man, but he was miles away….

Don’t forget, people photography can take many forms - include more abstract or fine art approaches. This image by Nazmi Zaim makes us think about the person whose hand this is. Have they led a hard life, perhaps doing some sort of manual job, which takes its toll on their hands. Every little detail is visible in this beautiful monochrome conversion and leaves me wanting to know more about the person behind the hand.

So there are some ideas to get you thinking - now it’s your turn to go out and find your people picture. I’m looking forward to seeing what we all come up with.

Next week’s theme

I thought I should warn you that next Monday’s theme will almost certainly come quite late in the day, or possibly even on Tuesday morning. We’re returning from our holiday in France that day so it will depend on my access to wifi and how smoothly our journey goes. Please be assured though, it will be available as soon as I can manage it as I already have it prepared!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 16th June
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Last week’s ‘getting creative’ theme got everyone thinking in a different way and we had some fantastically creative entries. Our winner is @peterphotowalks with this beautiful double exposure. Congratulations Peter!

(Berckmans Peter) #2

Thank you everybody, for liking my work

(Kenny H) #3

Nicely done. Good job Peter!

(Kenny H) #4

Saw this gent gettingout of a car service, and the carnation caught my eye. I wanted more pics of him, but he walked over and stood next to me!

(Berckmans Peter) #5

(Lakshmi Bhat) #7

(Helen Hooker) #8

I got out of my comfort zone this week and actually asked people if I could take their photo, rather than taking candid street shots. No one said no, so I’ll probably give this another try!

(Bob Rosenberg) #9

Maasai warriors during my visit to Tanzania, May, 2019

(Kenny H) #10

I’ve started asking more, especially if they have an interesting look. I then tell them where to find it.
Good shot