Weekly theme 11th November - Remembrance

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - welcome to a new week. Let’s jump straight in and take a look at our new theme….

This week’s theme is Remembrance

It’s Armistice Day today - the anniversary of the end of World War I so it seems appropriate that we should mark this with our theme. Walking around the supermarket this morning, it was very moving to see everyone stop in their tracks at eleven o’clock to spend two minutes remembering those who have sacrificed their lives for us in conflicts around the world.

While the many acts of remembrance around the world will have passed now, there will be signs of them visible for many months to come. These are three images from my own library which show the ways we remember those who have given their lives for us from around England.

Visit any town in the UK and you’ll see a war memorial, usually decorated with wreaths of poppies at this time of year. This particular memorial is from the village of Finchingfield.

One of the most sobering sights I’ve ever seen is the military cemeteries I’ve visited. Not far from here is the American Cemetery and Memorial at Madingly, on the outskirts of Cambridge. I visited a few years ago on a glorious, golden autumn day. As I arrived a WWII Hurricane aircraft flew overhead, which just made the moment even more perfect.

Of course, acts of remembrance don’t always have to be sombre. Some years ago I took some photos for Friary Brass Band as they played for Remembrance Sunday in Guildford. One of the most memorable photos was this touching encounter by two veterans, evidently finding a moment of joy amid the contemplation.

So there are a few ideas - no doubt you’ll have other ideas as to how to illustrate this time from your own part of the world. I’m so looking forward to seeing them all.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 17th November.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Our winner for last week’s red theme was @heidiegerman with this sumptuously scarlet image. I just want to reach out for those strawberries to eat them! Congratulations Heidi!

(Jerry Spierenburg) #2

The Field Of Crosses

(David Nurse) #3

The Battle of Britain Memorial is a monument to aircrew who flew in the Battle of Britain. It is sited on the White Cliffs at Capel-le-Ferne.

(Anthony Moberg) #4

This is a photo I took of my grandfather on Veteran’s Day. He’s sitting in my car recalling his years in the service. Side note, I just posted a new blog regarding Veteran’s Day. Check it out if you want - moberga1/2019/11/13/the-ones-to-remember/

(Helen Hooker) #5

Remembrance Day poppies, captured with my pinhole camera.