Weekly theme 12th August - Rule of thirds

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re all having a great week so far. After a couple of subject based themes I thought we’d go for a compositional one this week, which gives you unlimited choices as to what subject you shoot.

This week’s theme is Rule of thirds

The ‘rule of thirds’ is one of those compositional guidelines we often come across when we first start to think about how to compose our images. Of course it’s not a rule at all - you can break it as often as you like! However, it’s a really good starting point and can lead to satisfying pictures.

If the rule of thirds is new to you, imagine a noughts and crosses board with vertical and horizontal lines dividing the frame a third and two-thirds of the way through. Try placing your subject on one of these lines, or the points where they intersect and it’ll often give you a stronger image than if you were to place it dead centre. For a more detailed explanation do take a look at Cat Cliffe’s article about the subject over on the Photoblog learning pages.

To illustrate the concept I’ve dug out three of my own images which adhere to this principle. My first example, a picture of Kings College Chapel in Cambridge features the chapel on the lower right third of the frame. I chose this composition because the dramatic clouds in the sky were interesting and I wanted them to fill the upper two thirds of the picture. Had the sky been a bland white, and less interesting, I may well have composed this shot differently.

In this picture, of a Scottish Wildcat, I chose to place the cat on the right third so she had some negative space to look into. Placing her on the left third, looking out of the frame, would have made the image less comfortable as it would leave the viewer wondering what the cat was looking out at!

My final image doesn’t adhere to the rule quite so precisely, with the spiral staircase sitting mostly on the right third. I felt it was important for the lines to have somewhere to lead into, although you could also argue that the rising line on the left third is leading your eye into the spiral staircase!

Your mission this week is to shoot an image that follows the rule of thirds, but you can choose any subject you fancy - the choice is yours! I can’t wait to see what we all come up with.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 18th August
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Our summer theme last week was relatively quiet - perhaps everyone’s out having fun rather than visiting the Photoblog forum! However, @turtlesnaps won with this beautifully summery floral image. Congratulations Bethany!

(Kenny H) #2

(Berckmans Peter) #4

(Lakshmi Bhat) #5